Amphibious/Aquatic Centipedes: feasible?

Chriscrass

Arachnopeon
Are amphibious centipedes a feasible objective within the centipede-keeping hobby?

As far as I know, they're relatively new to science, or otherwise under-described, and there are only two major species that are confirmed to have amphibious/aquatic behaviour.

The first being Scolopendra Cataracta:
(wiki)

The second being Scolopendra Paradoxa

Apparently the Paradoxa have variants going by the names "Philippine Mint-Leg Centipede / Philippine Orange-banded Blue Leg Centipede"

Philippine Mint-Leg Centipede

I'm also not quite sure, but "Subspines sp chinese mint leg" might be highly similar. This thread shows sp's that look eerily similar to paradoxa (except for the reverse colour direction):

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/scolopedra-sp-mint-leg-communal.303172/

(note the long legs that are typical of cataracta and paradoxa; useful for swimming and underwater crawling). (I think that having shorter legs is more typical of terrestrial centipedes because shorter legs can have better leverage (more power) and break less easily).

Is it possible that chinese mint legs have aquatic behaviours which we don't even realize? Is there some ambiguity in the taxonomy here? (I have seen some random and questionable sources indicate that sp's are somehow amphibious).

I can't really find much footage or information about cataracta or paradoxa. I'm not even sure if anyone is keeping (let alone breeding?) them yet, or if keeping them would be feasible given their lifestyles. Do they only go underwater to hide? Is there any evidence of underwater scavenging or predation?

I'm also interested to know what kind of setup it would take to have a combined terrarium/aquarium (paludarium?) which would be capable of offering a centipede interesting aquatic environments.

Last edited:

Chriscrass

Arachnopeon
There's also this video from someone who seems to have a paradoxa (from jan 2019). From the video comments, apparently they got it from a "Korean market"...

Chriscrass

Arachnopeon
The orange-banded S. paradoxa is absolutely stunning.
Yea it's so flashy that it's almost over-kill. The bright orange bands, the mint legs, and the bright antennae (all contrasting with the jet black primary colour) make it just pop. My only complaint against the video is that the owner clearly didn't give it a large enough swimming area.

The only centipedes that compare are the Chinese mint-legs (where the only difference is black v orange as the primary colour, and antennae). What do you think the odds are that the Chinese mint-legs (like the ones from this thread) have aquatic behaviours we just don't really know about? (maybe aquatic behaviour is learned?)...

Celestus

Arachnopeon
Take a $15 S. dehaani and chuck it in a full bathtub, it should swim.

Chriscrass

Arachnopeon
Lol...

AFAIK, dehaani will swim around if forced to do so, but apparently most centipedes will quickly pass out due to lack of oxygen. All centipedes can do the basic swimming motion so far as I know, but the amphibious varieties actually enter the water intentionally for various reasons (to hydrate, to hide, or possibly to hunt).

I'll probably end up buying something common due to the rarity of Paradoxa and Cataracta, but since I would like to keep one long-term, and since I'm specifically intersted in aquatic behaviour, I'll hold out for awhile...

tristan640

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I'm from PH, I just got my Paradoxa, I'm currently housing them in communal set up, I got 4 of them, 3 of them are there in a large tank and the other 1 is my back-up. The seller send me a video of them in a communal set up that's why I also put them in a communal. In the video you can only see one of them but there's 3 in that tank. Link to the Youtube Video