Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Ami sp Panama

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Enn49, May 31, 2015.

1. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    ik cb, i know.. iv been on herp forums for years.. youd be surprized how many cages iv seen for a desert sp, and had more water then my turtle tanks lmao "i just misted" *>.<

now that im on a computer tho, i do see vents from the first pic in june i think, but i dont realy see them in this recent pic.. so a bit undervented

2. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

Yes it definitely needs a bigger home. As for character I can't help much there yet as it has been hidden away until the last few days but I will update as it grows since there is so little info about them..

Yes I had just dribbled water down that side about 1 hour before.

I don't mist and no there are no vent holes as advised by someone who has raised many slings. The vials are opened twice a day.

3. Angel Minkov

Angel Minkov Arachnobaron

Vial is opened twice a day for ventilation? You're only risking your Ts life by doing this... Ive raised slings in vials as well, but I always punch in ventilation at the top. Dont ask him how many hes raised, but rather how many hes lost by giving them no ventilation.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

That's advice I just cannot get behind....baffling. I'm surprised its still alive to tell you the truth.:(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slimdean

Slimdean Arachnopeon

That method is only good up to .25-.5 inch and pray you don't forget a day or you'll find mold. After .25 your T should be getting more fluids from live food and you can ventilate and relax some. Personally I did this method and did not like it. Really nerve wrecking to transfer a nervous dwarf at that size when you find a speck of mold. Now I have a habit of testing out containers without Ts to see how humid it gets and how long til mold might form. Most will go dry before mold , that's when you got enough vents.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

I do the exact same, for both arachnids and herps... Set it up for a few days then place a clean small paper plate (ones for like cage) with a hydrometer or use the probe taped inside anothercup so the moist sub doesnt give false readings.. I dont think id trust a non vented enclosure.. Period..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

They all seem to be doing fine and I don't forget, in fact usually they are opened more than once a day. I also usually upgrade housing to 3" cubes at around 0.5"

I finally got some new 3" cube containers so today this one got a new home and looks so tiny in it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

not bad now :D but not too tiny.. wana see tiny? try finding my T. sp panama who can easily hide in 1cm of sphagnum moss -.- lol

9. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

It's grown quite a bit since it came, it was only a 1st instar about 0.25". I'm guessing it's had a couple of moults but I've only seen one exo.

Another update.

It has moulted again exactly 7 weeks since its previous moult
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  10. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Cool beans. def still good that its making itself at home ^.^

11. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

It's usually in the burrow it's made and so out of sight but I just managed to grab the pic after it moulted on the surface.

12. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Lucky my T. Sp. panamas bith go under ground to molt.. My older one actually webbed his/her exo to the floor... Cheeky T -.- knew i wanted to molt sex now that its pushing 2" -.- im convinced lol

13. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

Don't they at least push the old exo out for you? Most of mine that moult in burrows do.

14. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Usually a week after molting and 1-2 meals but this time i think s/he heard me typing bacause i can see the silk iver the legs and helm of the molt -.- it silked into the lining of the burrow -.- lol

15. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

My OBT does that, she hangs bits over inside and out of her cave. It looks pretty when it's fresh and bright orange but it means I never get a full moult from her.

16. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Exactly, i can see some lovely bright reds (well bright ish compared to the cocofiber dirt mix) and i know what ones him/her but dang it sucks.. It used to eat after the molt and then demolish the molt and id find a leg everywhere and maybe the carapas if i was lucky but planned in taking the molt this time before s/he ate.. The burrow wasnt oppened till it was already lined xc lol

17. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

Update.

The little Ami sp Panama has begun to spend more time on the surface and moulted 2 weeks ago so is now a 4th instar and beginning to show good colour and pattern
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. Illusion

Illusion Arachnosquire

Aww, cute, that'll look good in the freezer won't it Pauline

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.