amblypygid sexing using molt?

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
My Damon diadema just molted for the first time in my care, and the molt is perfectly preserved. The chelicerae “elbow” is shorter than the “knee” of the first set of legs, which usually indicates female. I’m unsure if they develop adult characteristics early or only after fully grown, since I believe mine is still growing. Any info on sexing this species would be appreciated! This is a short video showing the whip spider as well as the molt.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Your diadema appears to be a medius, and using the length of the pedipalps doesn’t help as there are some females whose pedipalps reach far past the first set of legs...the best way to tell is to look at the genital operculum, the females have a small patch of reddish hairs on theirs while this is absent for the males. Also keep them extra moist, they’re almost always wild caught soecimens and require excessive moisture

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Note: agreed with what @mantisfan101 said, but if you branch out into other amblypygids (and you totally should!!), that sexing character will only work with phrynichids. Phrynids have to be sexed internally using a molt.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Your diadema appears to be a medius, and using the length of the pedipalps doesn’t help as there are some females whose pedipalps reach far past the first set of legs...the best way to tell is to look at the genital operculum, the females have a small patch of reddish hairs on theirs while this is absent for the males. Also keep them extra moist, they’re almost always wild caught soecimens and require excessive moisture
Yes it does look like medius right now, it turned shiny black after molting but it typically has the yellow bands you see in the diadema. It was bought as a diadema and does typically look like one! Like I said it just looks darker now because it’s freshly molted. This is exactly what it looked like before it molted.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Yes it does look like medius right now, it turned shiny black after molting but it typically has the yellow bands you see in the diadema. It was bought as a diadema and does typically look like one! Like I said it just looks darker now because it’s freshly molted. This is exactly what it looked like before it molted.

Attachments

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Note: agreed with what @mantisfan101 said, but if you branch out into other amblypygids (and you totally should!!), that sexing character will only work with phrynichids. Phrynids have to be sexed internally using a molt.
Oh so they aren’t sexed internally using molts? Sorry I’m used to Ts, I do know there’s some external differences between them but I thought maybe I could use the molt to sex them in a similar way to a tarantula.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Damon diadema just molted for the first time in my care, and the molt is perfectly preserved. The chelicerae “elbow” is shorter than the “knee” of the first set of legs, which usually indicates female. I’m unsure if they develop adult characteristics early or only after fully grown, since I believe mine is still growing.
That "elbow" extending farther than the "knee" of the first set of legs trick refers to the pedipalps, not the chelicerae.

I have D. diadema, and on mine all of the females have had the shorter pedipalps, while all of the males had the longer pedipalps that extended well past their "knees" (sexing proven by mating) - but the longer pedipalps on the males do not show up until they reach maturity. Subadult males look just like females as far as the pedipalp length is concerned.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh so they aren’t sexed internally using molts? Sorry I’m used to Ts, I do know there’s some external differences between them but I thought maybe I could use the molt to sex them in a similar way to a tarantula.
Only certain families are reliably sexed internally (which can be a little confusing). Family Phrynichidae (which includes Damon) can be sexed externally once they get large enough. Females will have a tuft of red hair next to the operculum, males won't. You can sex them at earlier ages that way too because it can take a while for the pedipalps to really start extending on males.

Members of family Phrynidae (Phrynus, Paraphrynus, Heterophrynus, etc.) can be sexed using the shape of the operculum, but it's not as consistent and it's pretty hard to do until you get the eye for it. Otherwise you can check the inside of the molt and it's very straightforward. @wizentrop @Banshee05 can probably describe the structures and what to look for better than I can.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
That "elbow" extending farther than the "knee" of the first set of legs trick refers to the pedipalps, not the chelicerae.

I have D. diadema, and on mine all of the females have had the shorter pedipalps, while all of the males had the longer pedipalps that extended well past their "knees" (sexing proven by mating) - but the longer pedipalps on the males do not show up until they reach maturity. Subadult males look just like females as far as the pedipalp length is concerned.
I’m relatively new to keeping, so I apologize for the incorrect terminology. That’s pretty much what I was wondering, if they show gender specific characteristics only at maturity or if you can tell earlier. Thank you!

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Phrynichidae and some specific members of Charontidae, as far as I noticed already ;)

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Only certain families are reliably sexed internally (which can be a little confusing). Family Phrynichidae (which includes Damon) can be sexed externally once they get large enough. Females will have a tuft of red hair next to the operculum, males won't. You can sex them at earlier ages that way too because it can take a while for the pedipalps to really start extending on males.

Members of family Phrynidae (Phrynus, Paraphrynus, Heterophrynus, etc.) can be sexed using the shape of the operculum, but it's not as consistent and it's pretty hard to do until you get the eye for it. Otherwise you can check the inside of the molt and it's very straightforward. @wizentrop @Banshee05 can probably describe the structures and what to look for better than I can.
I personally never sex via the shape of the operculum. Either I use old exuvias and check of I see the speramtophore organ/ or the gonopods, or I use sexual dimorphic characters (mainly expierence and 'feeling'; in the last years I had a hit rate from about 90% just sexing by comparing specimen side by side).