Amblypygid ID from Peruvian Amazon, LOOKS MASIVE

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Heterophrynus sp., might be H.elaphus
So do you have any info on these you can point me to, like that is a decent adult leg span, etc.?

What species of Amblypygid gets the largest?(Travis K is going to search the internet but couldn't help asking beforehand)

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those things do get big. I was pretty shocked when I unpacked my adult Damon sp. (probably diadama) at not only how big the DLS was (somewhere around 6") but also the length of it's reach with those modified legs/feelers or whatever the proper term is. It certainly has better than a foot in reach from one tip to another. Definitely a cool "bug"!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Acanthophrynus coronatus is supposedly the largest.

The patterning on the cephalothorax of that beast is very cool.

I just purchased some Heterophrynus batesii(sp)...will have to post some pix.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not gonna lie...thats kinda scary lookin'.

Like a living venus flytrap.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i am breeding some...

Heterophrynus cf.batesii 0,1

Heterophrynus cf.elaphus ex.Peru

the confer stands their, cause noone can be 100% sure, this genus is under construction, and a revision is already in process. i ID the species with all the literature on them, but withoug typusmaterial i cannot be 100% sure, what species will be valid or not...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice Amblypygid! I also liked the other pics. I wanted to ask who ID' ed all those animals, because I think it is pretty hard to ID Micrurus surinamensis, with all those other subspecies of Micrurus in the area. (Not that I am a snake expert, but I know something about the snake fauna of Suriname (with 4, 5 subspecies of Micrurus) and I just wondered)....

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Very nice Amblypygid! I also liked the other pics. I wanted to ask who ID' ed all those animals, because I think it is pretty hard to ID Micrurus surinamensis, with all those other subspecies of Micrurus in the area. (Not that I am a snake expert, but I know something about the snake fauna of Suriname (with 4, 5 subspecies of Micrurus) and I just wondered)....
The guys on FHF are pretty good at IDing and there are a lot more Herpetologist on FHF than there are Arachnologist on AB.

Banshee05, make sure and remember me when those cultures multiply and you have some to 'share'.;)

The pic in my OP looks an awful lot like your Heterophrynus cf.batesii

Last edited:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:)
my H.batesii is adult, the E.elaphus just in the 4th molt. They will change their colour and a little bit the habitus, this is normal.
H.batesii has the widest distribution, so it MIGHT be possible, that it is is this one in Peru also, but just a little change, with live species or a skin the ID is for me "easy", just with pix, i can guess in the right direction.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The guys on FHF are pretty good at IDing and there are a lot more Herpetologist on FHF than there are Arachnologist on AB.
What are your trying to say and what is FHF? Your remarks sounds a bit derogatory, which means I probably made you cry or otherwise your comment would have been much more confstructive I suppose. My sincere apologies.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
What are your trying to say and what is FHF? Your remarks sounds a bit derogatory, which means I probably made you cry or otherwise your comment would have been much more confstructive I suppose. My sincere apologies.
No crying here. And see link in OP about 'FHF'.

Regards,

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Well, nothing to add...except a couple of juvenile pictures:

Banshee05, do you happen to have any literature on H. batesii that you can share?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very cool:clap: i'm getting an adult and a young 1 aswell,can't wait:)enjoy yours.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
of course... i had to search at home in my lab.

what pix should this be? what young species? where are the species you all get? gyana import? peru?