Amblypygid from Central AZ, Praphrynus sp.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Correct, mexicanus is now carolynae. I believe Paraphrynus raptator shows up very rarely in extreme southern Florida and there are a couple records of Acanthophrynus coronatus popping up on the Arizona/Mexico border. One other phrynid has been found in extreme southern Texas, but I can't remember which species it is.

Phrynus marginemaculatus is a different genus, but both are still in the family Phrynidae.
According to Bugguide, A. coronatus has been found in extreme southern Arizona (i believe). The ID is a bit shaky though. Thanks!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Correct, mexicanus is now carolynae. I believe Paraphrynus raptator shows up very rarely in extreme southern Florida and there are a couple records of Acanthophrynus coronatus popping up on the Arizona/Mexico border. One other phrynid has been found in extreme southern Texas, but I can't remember which species it is.

Phrynus marginemaculatus is a different genus, but both are still in the family Phrynidae.
I didn't read the question correctly :banghead: I thought he was asking about whipspiders in general. I think the one in Texas is a different genus, but I'm really not sure.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I don't know that much, but I would say a large and complex set up is possibly the only way to go. Keep in mind that fatalities almost always happen after a molt. How long has this vendor had these, and have any molted in his care?
He hasn't been into inverts that long. I don't know how long he has had them.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Ahh I want one of these so badly. A friend caught me one of these in Phoenix last year but it died before it got to me :(

Are there specific parks or areas where you have reliably found these amblypygids?
I have been finding them in the higher elevations of the Sonoran desert pretty reliably. (2,000 to 3,000 feet in elevation). They are in lower elevations but they were pretty sparsely populated and finding them was very unusual. It might have more to do with terrain than elevation. They are supposed to be pretty common in the Superstition Mountains but I have never gone on a night hike there.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
there are a couple records of Acanthophrynus coronatus popping up on the Arizona/Mexico border.
Are they from Patagonia or Huachuca? I go down to Patagonia to collect but I'm a little hesitant to go down there at night because of the human/gun/drug smuggling there. I don't want to get shot while walking around with a head lamp on.

Last edited:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Down near Nogales if that helps. Here's the BugGuide record: http://bugguide.net/node/view/455740/bgimage
That is Patagonia for sure. There is a neotropical micro-habitat that just barely crosses the border. There are spotted jaguars there as well as green vine snakes, Diplocentrus spitzeri scorpions and a few other tropical species that can't be found anywhere else. If I remember correctly Agkistrodon bilineatus have been caught only 30 to 50 miles south of the border in the same habitat. It is an awesome place to collect.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I wish I could go outside and catch whipspiders, but I'm not south enough. :(
If you find some Scolopendra alternans or Centruroides gracilis I will trade you for some Paraphrynus carolynae or Hadrurus arizonensis or something like that. What kind of inverts do you find in the wild over there?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
This species is actually yellowish brown with light joints. Pretty cool. I have to on a night hike in Patagonia now.
More importantly in my mind, it gets big enough to eat mice. 20" legspan exceptionally, 16" usually, and a 2-3" body length if memory serves.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
More importantly in my mind, it gets big enough to eat mice. 20" legspan exceptionally, 16" usually, and a 2-3" body length if memory serves.
I believe it is one of the largest (if not the largest) amblypygid by mass. @Banshee05 or @wizentrop would know better. I also believe they are one of the few sp. that stridulate.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
The more I know about them the more I want to run around in a border corridor with a light on my head. I'm definitely going to do this trip. Anyone want to go?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The more I know about them the more I want to run around in a border corridor with a light on my head. I'm definitely going to do this trip. Anyone want to go?
I'd absolutely LOVE to go... but I can't. :sorry: Don't know how safe it is for a 14 year old to go around traversing the border and I'm sure my parents wouldn't allow it. :rofl: In any case, I live all the way in the Central Valley in California.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Umm, yes...how long does it take to drive from Rhode Island to Texas?

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure it is safe for me to do it either but I am going to do it when there are two people that want to go with. A guy that I know here will probably want to do the trip. I found a rocky cliff face, on the satellite map, in the Pajarito Mountains in Arizona about a thousand yards from the border that is accessible by 4 wheel drive. If they are anywhere to be found it is right there.
Umm, yes...how long does it take to drive from Rhode Island to Texas?
You are probably better off flying and renting a car. It is about two or three days drive.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
You are probably better off flying and renting a car. It is about two or three days drive.
Sadly, I was kidding...I don't think I have time in the near future. Perhaps in the winter--if the climate is really tropical the season doesn't matter as much, right?