Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
What brought about those changes? Is there a key to use? Also, would this mean that the supposed Phrynus whitei are also maesi?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
no this simple means that when I first get WC specimens, 2 generations back, I used the name the importers used, not confusing all othre when trading/selling them.
I never checked their ID in detail, as adult specimen are neccesary...now I had some time and comparative material and I did so.
MY specimen, suposed to be from Managua, are P. maesi...but there was several imports to Europa and also to the US...thus more than 1 species is possible. Send me adult preserved specimen in ethanol and ID them proper. Everything else is guest a guess.

Kokavecz

Arachnopeon
really from Madagascar? Can u give me more details. Also via PM! Thanks.
Really!
A hungarian dealer brought them to Hungary in the autumn of 2018 with other chameleons, lizard, millipeds and bugs from Madagascar.
Both of my females had succesfully offspring. No.1. 26 pcs babys, No.2. 29 pcs babys and the No.1. is gravid again.

As I see, the Malagasy adults are smaller than the Kenyan. The gravid term is longer with 2-3 weeks and more babies will be born. I had 3 Kenyan (from you) offsprings.
No.1 20 pcs
No.2 21 pcs
No.3 20 pcs

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I believe you, that's not the point. Euphrynichus was reported from Madagascar long time ago, but I never heard any recent finding. Thus it is very itneresting. Do you know where they are approx from? Some juvenile to study and raise would be welcome when the weather gets warmer.
btw, size does not mather in an order where both sexes moult a life-time long ;)

Kokavecz

Arachnopeon
I believe you, that's not the point. Euphrynichus was reported from Madagascar long time ago, but I never heard any recent finding. Thus it is very itneresting. Do you know where they are approx from? Some juvenile to study and raise would be welcome when the weather gets warmer.
btw, size does not mather in an order where both sexes moult a life-time long ;)
Unfortunately, I was unable to find out a more accurate location. The trader is not a precise person (he doesn’t even care).
I'd love to send it out in the spring.

In terms of size, I thought of Kenya versus Madagascar. Madagascar was smaller in size at first birth than Kenyans first birth.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@JordanC i only just noticed Tyrant my Damon medius actually had hair on her chelicerae/fangs. Unfortunately I only noticed when I was editing the pics I'd taken so didn't get any of them specifically. Luckily noticed a couple where still in focus enough you could still clearly make them out.

Do you know why they have the hairs actually on the "fangs"? I'd have thought the smoother they were the better in terms of their efficiency. Of course if anyone can provide an answer or theory I'm all ears.

876E31DB-2619-497F-9EF0-71997725DD17.jpeg
B8D68B1D-8FC1-46CB-9037-31138F8D3A4B.jpeg

Last edited: