Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I am beyond jealous at this point...so tiny! What do you feed them? I talked to a guy at repticon who also had these and he said that he fed his fruit flies

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I am beyond jealous at this point...so tiny! What do you feed them? I talked to a guy at repticon who also had these and he said that he fed his fruit flies
This one is from @Austin S. who is the first one to have these available in the states in a while. I feed her pinhead crickets, prekilled parts of prey, etc.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Interesting, do you know if he has any others and how much they cost? Also, are these the parthenogenic ones?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A small update...

Phrynus eucharis adult female

Phrynichus ceylonicus
adult female/male

Charinus pescotti
adult female

Paraphrynus raptator
adult female/male

Damon
sp. not medius/johnstonii subadult

Damon johnstonii adult female

Charon grayi
var.Mindanao adult female

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Very cool! Your pictures are often the only photographs I can reliably use to see certain species, so this is great.

Random question--do you know why Musicodamon is called that? Does it stridulate or something?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
thanks, I will slolwy update the blog/hp and add all species I have and had in the past.
Musicodamon as well as Acanthophrynus can make some noise, they stridulate. Not easy to hear but present. Correct.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Almost all damon medius are gonna be wc and they need a lot of moisture. Keep the substrate wet(I don’t mean slightly damp to the touch, I mean soaked) 24/7. If you ever see it on or near the floor start spraying the enclosure or dump more water into the substrate. Don’t be surprised if it doesn’t eat for a while, mine went two months before eating anything. Once they molt for the first time in captivity they become a bit hardier.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can anyone give me some care tips on Phrynus marginemaculatus and Damon medius? Please and thank you.:)
WC or CB? Both are very easy and if you have CB you will lots of offspring in 1 1/2-2 years. Not all medius are WC, I have different populations in breeding since MANY years, the Gambia population for example at least since 15years. There is no need for WC animals anymore. They are soo easy.
But it is for sure different if you have wild caught animals or already small captive breed.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
here some pics of two more Catageus species
Java, most likely C. sunda.

and here sp. from Thailand, most likely C. cavernicolus

Not sure about the whole ID now.

and here two positive ID.
C. orientalis

and last but not least, C. longispina

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The suspect C. cavernicolus is awesome looking!
What has been your experience with the Catageus genus @Banshee05? I keep hearing conflicting reports on how they do in captivity.

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are generally not that easy, but also not complicated. My following experience is m mainly based on C. orientalis, as I keep them since many generations over 8 years or so now. All the rest I do just have for 1-2 years in breeding and here I am with the first CB generation or less.
They love humidity and do better when the temperature is cooler, no clue why, but it seems so. The offspring are very sensitive and WC animals do harly moult. E.g C. longispina WC does only molted 3 indivuals out of 20 or so, but several WC females produced an eggsac, CB are easier and do well. C. cavernicolus is doing better, but I do only have a handfull of specimens here, need to mate them soon and see how it goes. Further, WC animals are very often in incredble bad conditions, they are too sensitive for long and loveless transportation from the catchter to Europa. Collected them by yourself and taking care is much better and works quite well (true for nearly all species). WC animals often suffer different issues and are hard for the beginnern. As usual, CB do much better and are suitable for interested but unexperienced people. Generally, I do not know if I can establish a stable colony and produce hundreds of offspring a year, such as doing with many other species. We will see.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Didn't realize Stygophrynus was synonymized with Catageus. You learn something new every day o_O

Just a guess about why they might like cool temperatures and high humidity--are these from caves? Or maybe high elevation? Also, @Banshee05 when you say cooler, how cool?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Didn't realize Stygophrynus was synonymized with Catageus. You learn something new every day o_O
Without @aphono to alert me I would be lost, ha ha.

They are generally not that easy, but also not complicated. My following experience is m mainly based on C. orientalis, as I keep them since many generations over 8 years or so now. All the rest I do just have for 1-2 years in breeding and here I am with the first CB generation or less.
They love humidity and do better when the temperature is cooler, no clue why, but it seems so. The offspring are very sensitive and WC animals do harly moult. E.g C. longispina WC does only molted 3 indivuals out of 20 or so, but several WC females produced an eggsac, CB are easier and do well. C. cavernicolus is doing better, but I do only have a handfull of specimens here, need to mate them soon and see how it goes. Further, WC animals are very often in incredble bad conditions, they are too sensitive for long and loveless transportation from the catchter to Europa. Collected them by yourself and taking care is much better and works quite well (true for nearly all species). WC animals often suffer different issues and are hard for the beginnern. As usual, CB do much better and are suitable for interested but unexperienced people. Generally, I do not know if I can establish a stable colony and produce hundreds of offspring a year, such as doing with many other species. We will see.
This is really good to know. I also originally heard that Catageus were from caves, so as @schmiggle said I wonder if that may be the reason they like cool, moist environments.
They are an amazing genus, but they often get over to the USA in poor shape as well, and on top of that most sellers seem to misidentify them as some sort of Damon. Definitely would love to see how CB and WC specimens compare in terms of resilience to shipping and overall hardiness.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Just a guess about why they might like cool temperatures and high humidity--are these from caves? Or maybe high elevation? Also, @Banshee05 when you say cooler, how cool?
Haha, yes Miranda et al. 2018 while describing the new genus Weygoldtia they syn. Stygophrynus with Catageus, as the type species was identified as a member of the other genus.

cool means 26°C in one of my breeding rooms. I never measure any humidity, the room is all over with boxes thus high humidity outside the boxes, inside the boxes is the soil always wet, quite wet.
They are not only found in caves, also outside, but seldom caves means lower temperatures, mostly they are warmer, but more constant!