Amblypygi ID help

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi everyone. I took these pictures in Sri Lanka of two individual amblypygid. I'm not sure how to ID them since I can't get ahold of any of the papers or pictures of either of the species I know to be in SL. From what I can find, there appears to only be two or three species, Phrynichus ceylonicus, Phrynichus reniformis, and Phrynichus pusillus. Any idea what these are? Both were taken in the rainforest.

Attachments

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone. I took these pictures in Sri Lanka of two individual amblypygid. I'm not sure how to ID them since I can't get ahold of any of the papers or pictures of either of the species I know to be in SL. From what I can find, there appears to only be two or three species, Phrynichus ceylonicus, Phrynichus reniformis, and Phrynichus pusillus. Any idea what these are? Both were taken in the rainforest.
Nice pictures

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
sry I did not see this thread.
Phrynichus reniformis is already a syn., based on the size and only as an educated guess, it is most likely P. ceylonicus.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Hi,
Phrynichus reniformis is already a syn., based on the size and only as an educated guess, it is most likely P. ceylonicus.
I have two questions.

1. Is P. reniformis a synonym of P. ceylonicus?

2. Is Phrynichus pusilus smaller or larger than P. ceylonicus?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
1. yes and no, it depends on, for both spceies you will find syn.with reniformis (in part); I do not have it in mind which is the type locality of reniformis and with which species it was syn.
2. ceylonicus is much bigger, based on the type series of pusillus.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,
Thank you Banshee! Sorry for the late response. Both of these were of the same size and quite large but I didn't want to assume since I'm not experienced in field ID of amblypygids. I appreciate the help!