Amblypygi Help Please I’m new

BugBoiOli

Arachnopeon
I’m a new Amblypygid owner and I tried to do as much research as I could but I need help on some things. The reptile store I got mine from did not have him identified but I think he is a Phrynus Whitei. He keeps going to the edge of the corkbark and sitting facing the substrate, which I hear is a sign he is unhappy. I think the humidity is too low, so I might try and find some live plants to add, but if anyone has any other suggestions please!! (I added a picture of him eating for reference)

Attachments

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
While I don't have a whitei, I have a few other Phrynus sp. Mine are in Exo-terras with tinfoil over the lid and the substrate kept soaked, then re-soaked when it gets damp. I'll wet down the cork bark too, as long as I don't dump water directly on the critter; Phrynus like it wet.
They also like it dark.

Edited to add: Facing towards the substrate is no big deal, but if it's sitting down with its face almost pressed against the substrate it's too dry.

Maxthesquid

Arachnosquire
Doubt this will be an ongoing issue. Just make sure the sub is nice and moist. Send a pic of the enclosure if you would like

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
I’m a new Amblypygid owner and I tried to do as much research as I could but I need help on some things. The reptile store I got mine from did not have him identified but I think he is a Phrynus Whitei. He keeps going to the edge of the corkbark and sitting facing the substrate, which I hear is a sign he is unhappy. I think the humidity is too low, so I might try and find some live plants to add, but if anyone has any other suggestions please!! (I added a picture of him eating for reference)
This is indeed a Phrynus Whitei.

I'd advise against plants, just restrict ventilation and ensure the substrate is nice and moist.

Maxthesquid

Arachnosquire
Here’s his current setup. The top screen has been covered with a damp paper towel to keep humidity in.
well one thing is for certain: humidity is definitely not too low. The humidity guage is at the very top of the enclosure which gets the lowest humidity, near the bottom where the abundance of moss is I wouldguess is around 90 based on the picture. A possibility on why it’s so close to the ground might be because the lack of a hiding spot. The underside of the log isn’t close enough to any walls for it to feel secure, so it might hunker down to the ground where it might be the tightest spot it can find in the enclosure. Try a cork half pipe (U?) or a tube for a hide.I’ll attach what I use for mine below.

CE155F21-B9AC-48CA-8256-072DD8D7EEC1.jpeg

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
You can also rotate the cork bark 90 degrees so it's slanted up against the back. Mine love hiding in the dark between the two.

BugBoiOli

Arachnopeon
well one thing is for certain: humidity is definitely not too low. The humidity guage is at the very top of the enclosure which gets the lowest humidity, near the bottom where the abundance of moss is I wouldguess is around 90 based on the picture. A possibility on why it’s so close to the ground might be because the lack of a hiding spot. The underside of the log isn’t close enough to any walls for it to feel secure, so it might hunker down to the ground where it might be the tightest spot it can find in the enclosure. Try a cork half pipe (U?) or a tube for a hide.I’ll attach what I use for mine below.

View attachment 438228
I’ll see if I can get one asap, also mine hasn’t been eating and It’s been a little over two weeks now, what should I do?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I’ll see if I can get one asap, also mine hasn’t been eating and It’s been a little over two weeks now, what should I do?
not eating can be caused by:
Stress (from transport, overhandling, or incorrect conditions for example)
Dehydration (restrict ventilation and soak substrate)
Illness/old age (nothing to be done about these)
Not being hungry (it’ll eat when it’s ready to)

If the first three can be ruled out then your animal isn’t hungry. Not eating for a couple of weeks is normal. Not eating for a couple of months can even be normal. Make sure the conditions are good and it’ll eat when it’s good and ready.