Amblypigi Id and help

Erica Clemente

Arachnopeon
Good morning to all. There is really so little sources of information on these that is not either so scientific I need to look up every other word or seems dreadfully insufficient. I got one at Petco the other day. In a 10 gallon on its side with a door and ventilation. vertical and diagonally placed cork and plants to the top and a foam background (that I tossed to the side with my T’s finally used!) a few inches of damp substrate.

So for care… water dish? Gauging cricket size ? ID? Any feed back would be appreciated

Attachments

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
some damon sp, most likely medius. generally no water dish is needed, and it looks like its close to adulthood, so large crickets are fine. Humid, but not too humid. I keep springtail with mine because theyre super messy eaters and high humidity causes mold. Dont worry, mold isnt likely to kill them

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
^^^ What they said. Setup looks appropriate, though all that extra decor up top might just end up giving prey a place to hide. Should be fine though. Keep that substrate moist and you should be good. Amblypygi will take pretty big prey so anything bigger than a baby Damon can handle large crickets easily.

This animal is very likely wild caught, so assume it's super stressed and needs extra moisture and plenty of quiet time.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
some damon sp, most likely medius. generally no water dish is needed, and it looks like its close to adulthood, so large crickets are fine. Humid, but not too humid. I keep springtail with mine because theyre super messy eaters and high humidity causes mold. Dont worry, mold isnt likely to kill them
Some species of amblypygi even have symbiotic relationships with mold on their exoskeletons. Unfortunately the study proving this is behind a paywall now :/

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Some species of amblypygi even have symbiotic relationships with mold on their exoskeletons. Unfortunately the study proving this is behind a paywall now :/
DO you happen to have the title, the author list, or any other info that might help track this down? My university may have access to the journal.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Thank you! Turns out I do in fact have access!

Looks like fungal growth is widespread - they found a variety of fungal species growing on all of the amblypygi they examined. There appeared to be zero evidence of any of the fungi being able to cause infections in the amblypygi, even in the cases of fungal species that are known to be lethal to spiders and various insects. The fungal hyphae also didn't penetrate the exoskeleton in any of the specimens they examined, which is one of the major indicators of a parasitic or entomopathic fungus. They hypothesize that the fungus may actually play a protective role - a lot of the fungus species they found produce antimicrobial secretions.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:)
also very interesting in this regard are these two papers:

two more papers dealing with this cerotogument aspects will follow soon.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The next paper dealing with this special feature in neglected arachnid orders will be soon published:

Seiter, M., Schwaha, T., Ferreira, R.L., Prendini, L., Wolff, J.O. 2021. Fine structure of the epicuticular secretion coat and associated glands of Pedipalpi and Palpigradi (Arachnida). Journal of Morphology. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmor.21360