Amazon fire

Zevil

Arachnosquire
I'm curious. What kind of impact will the fire have on tarantula species over there?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm curious. What kind of impact will the fire have on tarantula species over there?
Lots of animals will be killed. Man is the worst animal. Once the Amazon is gone, good luck!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
But some Ts will be deep underground and survive right?
Maybe, maybe not.

I caught a 4" Aphonopelma sp. in an area that had been hit pretty hard by wildfires 5-6 years before. I know these grow incredibly slow, especially in the wild. So It's possible it was there when the fires hit.

And even if the heat doesn't kill them, finding food will be a challenge. We'll see.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I am more curious what impact it will have on people, not only there but all over the world:/
It happens every year and as such it won´t have any bigger impact than it has had in the previous decades. Yes, there has been an increase in the number of fires, but in total the areas burned (in square kilometres) are approximately the same as in the previous 15 years according to NASA. The situation is also currently worse in the rainforests in Angola and DR Congo which gains little to none coverage in the media.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
But it will not grow back, and every year they still burn it more. Amazon jungle is called lungs of the earth, so I am worried. And every summer is getting hotter and hotter...

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Damn it man...people suck. Drone footage of the aftermath, breaks my heart. :sorry::(:grumpy:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
It's a great tablet, though I think the Paperwhite looks better tbh.
Disagree. Although the paperwhite looks better for just straight reading, the Fire is definitely better for looking at tarantulas in full color.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
It's a great tablet, though I think the Paperwhite looks better tbh.
HA!!! The first thought that struck me when I read the thread title was, “C’mon mods, move this somewhere that technical stuff resides.”

Last edited:

junewolf

Arachnopeon
I know, the tarantula species of South America are some of my favorites. That was one of my first thoughts upon hearing about the scope of the current fires. "What about all the undiscovered insects/arachnids out there??! :arghh:" But truly, the biggest travesty about this fire is probably the trees who take years to grow. As long as some of the species inside survive, they will have hope once their habitat returns.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
The effect it has on tarantulas will entirely depend on species and area, say for example its a Theraphosa sp, they’re usually in deep burrows where they’d be relatively safe from a fire, but as soon as the area dries out due to a lack of vegetation like we see all over the place in cleared rainforests will definitely pose a threat