Amazing pet store finds

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So today I went into a mall pet store (the kind that makes petco look like animal heaven), expecting to see the usual "Curlyhair" T in rough shape, on literally it's last leg, when to my suprise I saw two juvie B. smithi's! in good health! They were probably approaching 3 inches, and had their adult colors and the pet store wanted 99 bucks for them...sadly I didnt have that kind of money to spare on an impulse buy (which is very tempting considering my own B. emilia is a ways away from being the size of the smithi's i saw). So yeah, I was curious, what is the best and most unexpected T find you have made in one of these horrific pet stores?

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, it is unexpected to even find a tarantula in the pet stores around me. A few have them but they are the usual suspects.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got a 4" B. emilia female for $60 and a 3" P. irminia, which turned out to be male (yay! I needed one) for $19.99.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found an adult female versicolor for 60 bucks but it was before I got really into the trade and when I was way younger, I wish I had bought it though.:wall:

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lucky finds

So far my lucky finds:
We have a chain of Zamzow stores (yard, garden, feed, pet) that generally take good care of their animals, and have a little variety on occasion. I've got some interesting stuff from them on occasion including an OBT (free if I buy the cage for $10 so they don't have to unhouse!), 2 unidentified slings that turned out to be 1 G. aureostriata and 1 C. fasciatum, a B. smithi for $40 (immature male). I also found a great store down in Twin Falls, ID where I've stumbled across excellent T finds- A. avic slings for $2 (yes yes yes), a P. scrofa, M. robustum, and a T. blondi (didn't buy the blondi- $90 for about 2.5 inches). Going down there next weekend to see what's new.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
near my work there is an E. murinus. 50$ (i think) they call it a green skeleton birdeater.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A while back our local petstore had an adult female C. crawshayi up for grabs, $175 is what they wanted. They had it set up in a med. size KK, with coconut bedding, about 1/2 deep... a nasty sponge in the water, mites all around it. It honestly looked like it wasnt going to last the remainding week. I told them what the proper way to keep them was and that she was soon to be dead. To sum this all up, they felt really guilty about what they had done do "one of their beloved animals". They let me take her free of charge to get her healthy again. :) Their respected in my book, and I go their once a week to let everyone know how things are going with others I have bought/got free there.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my find was at petco, nhandu carapoensis... they called it a pink birdeater 35.00, 2.5"....they were just happy to get rid of it sooo lucky me...

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice find!

I stopped in a pet store today, the kind of store that's been there forever right downtown in a very old building. Talked to a sales guy that's going to college and wanted $40 for two tubs of roaches - sweet. I also found a 4" Indian Ornamental for $49. I'll be getting them both!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found a 5" A. genic for $20 at a local feed store but didn't know what it was at the time so I didn't get it. Very stupid of me...

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a large b smithi that molted a few days after I purchased it for $20 and it ended up being a female. I also got a B emilia for $20 at a different pet store that ended up being a male.;P

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I had just become interested I saw a mature female GBB (C. Cyan.) at the local petco and was 50% off of $150. It was a gorgeous specimen and I walked out the door. I'm an idiot.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I had just become interested I saw a mature female GBB (C. Cyan.) at the local petco and was 50% off of $150. It was a gorgeous specimen and I walked out the door. I'm an idiot.
man down here all you can get at petco is a G. rosea or A. seemani or occasionally an avic avic...however i saw one once that was called a pinktoe and was purple as all get out...shoud have bought it...

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well right now at the shop they have.. H.mackulata, P. ornata, p.regalis, P. faciata, P. irminia, P. cambridgi, B. vagans, B. smithi, singapore blue, tiger rump, pamphoabetus sp equadore, and P. fortis

... and a whole bunch of other stuff i forgot.. and thats just one shop.. there are a few others around with good selections of T's as well..

its good to be in so cal

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
A mature male A. seemani for like $15. This was quite awhile ago, at the time there were no MM's available.

There have been others that I never bought.

-Sean

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found a Crassicrus lamanai in a pet store near my house. They didn't know what species it was, so I bought it for 20 euro's:)

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
N.Chromatus

I purchased a 5" N.Chromatus female at Big Als in Hamilton Ont.
They sold me the Chromatus in a 5.5g tank with screen locking lid and a large piece of cork bark for $70. Average price of lid is$22/Bark $8/Tank $20.
As a special bous it molted 3 weeks later and eats like a maniac.
Jason

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i found an mature A.Versicolor for 35 bucks once! too bad i didn't get it.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
para

Last week went to a pet store I check occasionally, and surprisingly the guy had about 18 Ts, different sizes. He said a T keeper came in and sold off some of his Ts. So, I got a 4 inch L. para for 35.00. Ill probably go back and look again soon.