Am I doing this right?

BlackCatPasta

Arachnopeon
I just got a brachypelma albopilosum sling yesterday . I know they generally won't accept food for a couple days when they're moved to a new enclosure, but I offered the little guy a cricket since it was time for him to eat (three days since last eaten) and he gobbeled it right up. When I went to go remove the cricket in the morning the cricket was completely gone! There was nothing left. Since I was told you give them two or three crickets I gave it another one and he's currently eating it now. I'm keeping him in a small 120 ml container (not sure what the other dimensions are) with eco earth substrate thats about half an inch deep. I didn't realize you had to let the substrate dry after you soak it, so I made the mistake of putting it in wet substrate. Since I did that I haven't misted the enclosure. I have nice ventilation on the sides and top where I poked a sewing needle through. The little guy seems to be doing just fine. Just wondering if there is anything I could do to improve? I plan to change the substrate once the other portion dries btw. I have put a picture of his enclosure.

image.jpg image.jpg

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I think it is fine for a sling like this. I would add it a hide, and a water dish. Don't moisten the dirt, it will dry up soon, and there will be no need to change it. Slings prefer a slightly moist substrate.
However, could you send more pictures of the whole enclosure? The box is a bit weird for me... o_O How is the lid attached to the box? Is there any gap between the lid and the box? If yes, your little spider could find a way out...

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The size of the space you have substrate in for the spider is great, but the overall container should be changed as they can escape from them, a water dish and a small hide would make this little one feel quite comfortable, apart from the enclosure your using (which I think is a tool tidy of sorts with separate compartments) the hide and water, size is fine. A small critter keeper with lots of substrate would be better, enjoy your new arachnid and the hobby in general.

BlackCatPasta

Arachnopeon
The size of the space you have substrate in for the spider is great, but the overall container should be changed as they can escape from them, a water dish and a small hide would make this little one feel quite comfortable, apart from the enclosure your using (which I think is a tool tidy of sorts with separate compartments) the hide and water, size is fine. A small critter keeper with lots of substrate would be better, enjoy your new arachnid and the hobby in general.
Thank you!!! I'm going to be moving him into a small tupperwear container once I get one, and now I will add a hide, Thank you!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thank you!!! I'm going to be moving him into a small tupperwear container once I get one, and now I will add a hide, Thank you!
You are more than welcome, remember to add enough substrate and a water dish. Oh and please remember to put holes in the top and sides of the new enclosure, cross ventilation is a must for tarantulas.[EDIT] When you have the new enclosure remember to fill it so the spider has 1.5 x DLS of space so it doesn't fall and hurt itself. So if your T is 1 inch you should leave a gap of 1.5", this is really important pal.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You are more than welcome, remember to add enough substrate and a water dish. Oh and please remember to put holes in the top and sides of the new enclosure, cross ventilation is a must for tarantulas.l.
No, it's definitely not.

boina

Lady of the mites
No, it's definitely not.
Cross ventilation is always a good idea. I remember there was this demonstration on here that said it doesn't matter where you put the ventilation holes, because air molecules spread in all directions in the same way. While that is true in general, it ONLY applies in a closed system, with no air currents from the outside influencing what happens. In any normal room you have an air flow going. Air flow, driven by general air currents in any room where someone moves, works better with cross ventilation - in on one side, out the other. If you only have ventilation holes in the top the moving air in the room will go over the enclosure without changing much inside the enclosure. I much prefer cross ventilation.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Cross ventilation is always a good idea. I remember there was this demonstration on here that said it doesn't matter where you put the ventilation holes, because air molecules spread in all directions in the same way. While that is true in general, it ONLY applies in a closed system, with no air currents from the outside influencing what happens. In any normal room you have an air flow going. Air flow, driven by general air currents in any room where someone moves, works better with cross ventilation - in on one side, out the other. If you only have ventilation holes in the top the moving air in the room will go over the enclosure without changing much inside the enclosure. I much prefer cross ventilation.
That's very interesting, thanks for clearing that up.
@mconnachan my point still stands, cross vent is not needed with all tarantulas.

BlackCatPasta

Arachnopeon
I think it is fine for a sling like this. I would add it a hide, and a water dish. Don't moisten the dirt, it will dry up soon, and there will be no need to change it. Slings prefer a slightly moist substrate.
However, could you send more pictures of the whole enclosure? The box is a bit weird for me... o_O How is the lid attached to the box? Is there any gap between the lid and the box? If yes, your little spider could find a way out...
  1. Its like a fishermen lure tackle box. The lid is attached and I made sure the sides meet the top of the box so he can't climb into the other sides. The lid has little clamps that make it stay. He hasn't tried climbing out, so yeah. I plan on putting more substrate and I put a small plastic top in and covered it in the substrate for a hide.