Am I doing this right? H. arizonensis

Blacat

Arachnopeon
Hello! I have gotten a Hadrurus arizonensis yesterday, and it is my first scorpion. While I did do some research before getting him, I would like to make sure that I am doing this right, as I already love my little dude!

This is the setup I have made him. For size comparison, he is in the left bottom corner, but his favourite spot thus far appears to be top left, under the bark. I have given him plenty of things to hide under, since I was unable to buy excavator clay to mix in the sand (natural red reptisand) to give him the opportunity to burrow. Speaking of, is there a method to adding some excavator clay? Like... do I need to add in it a bit of water so he can easily dig in it? I’ve never used it, so I do not know how it works. What would be the best ratio?

F9D9CD69-0E7A-4E9E-BC32-749261BD7350.jpeg B41F9915-AD18-4C8F-A6F2-45E585046693.jpeg B53B8970-05C3-45BF-8D3C-CAA33CE046D4.jpeg

HUMIDITY/WATER: I am unsure if I should leave the water dish in? I mean, he completely filled it overnight with some sand, but should I still leave hit in, so he has some more... “damp” sand in a bowl? It is VERY shallow, and holds very little water. I’m thinking of trying to make a false bottom but... how will that work with a scorpion that seems to love to dig as much as he can? And especially... a false bottom with sand? What do I use? Is it worth it? Or should I just try to use a straw to try to pour a bit of water in the deeper layer of the sand (to try to make a humidity gradient)

TEMPERATURE: My room temperature is 78 F, but I’ll be going back to somewhere where the room temperature is around 73 F. I have a heat mat I can put on the side of his setup to make it warm and cozy for him. Is it true that during winter I should lower his temperature a little bit?

FEEDING: He has eaten soon after I put him in his setup, taking his food straight from the tweezers. I was told he was due for feeding, as he had recently molted. I read on a caresheet that I can try feeding him every day... but wouldn’t that overfeed him?

BONUS: Here is a ventral picture... while it doesn’t change anything for me since I don’t breed scorpions, I’m just a bit curious ahah x’D (I do not remember if you can click on a pic of a post to enlarge it, if I cannot, I will reply to myself with a bigger pic

0F0E59F1-3814-4956-AE69-C122A53CD3B0.jpeg

Thank you very much for anyone who might be able to leave comments to help me! I am very excited to be getting into the world of scorpions. Here is a picture of Ecchymose (means bruise in french, my little sister named him for me hihi) enjoying his first meal with me!

8DE85560-FFA8-4C98-9EF3-4DBE0AFB797A.jpeg

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
That is a big, beautiful scorpion (giant desert hairies are one of my favourite scorpions!) They live for years (up to 25 years in captivity) and they do go through a hibernation phase during part of the year - you won't see them for months. They do require enough substrate to burrow, as they love to burrow. I'm not 100% sure on the sex, I do know that males have more "feathery things" on their pectines than females but it is very hard to tell at a glance. I think the male has a longer fifth segment on the tail (nearest to the telson) than the female. I also found this link on their care which may be of help to you.

Blacat

Arachnopeon
Both the info you've given as well as the thread were very interesting and good, thank you very much!!! :D
I'll definitly miss him during his hibernation. It will be difficult months x'D

Thanks again!!!