Am I crazy

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I passed on the chance to order G. Pulchra and B. Annitha slings. I still placed an order at another site and managed to cross two species off my list (I bought four), but I am probably the only one who would pass on highly coveted tarantulas in favor of common species (I did it to save money for my original plan to buy cork bark). Give me your honest opinion was it a mistake passing on the two mentioned or not?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Nah, I see pulchra offered in the classified section pretty regularly. And honestly I'm noticing some of the coolest T are "common" T. IMO A. Versicolor and G. Pulchripes, B. Albopilosum and vagans are some of my favorite "common" species

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
They aren't the hardest to find here in the states but I do love my Pulchra.
Annitha is one of the only brachypelma I care to acquire, at this point the only other itchy spiders I want are Pamphlobetus sp. and a few of the dwarf sp. Theraphosinae sp. Panama also. But there is OW sp. I want more. I would say you made no mistake by not getting them this time. Just get them next time around.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I passed on the chance to order G. Pulchra and B. Annitha slings. I still placed an order at another site and managed to cross two species off my list (I bought four), but I am probably the only one who would pass on highly coveted tarantulas in favor of common species (I did it to save money for my original plan to buy cork bark). Give me your honest opinion was it a mistake passing on the two mentioned or not?
As long as you got whatever Ts you wanted, you made the right choice. :)

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Soooo, what Ts did you order from the other site instead?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I own an adult female G pulchra and a B annitha sling that's just starting to show its colourings so because I have experience with both I wouldn't have passed on them. But that all depends on the species you acquired and it's been said if you got something you wanted then it's all good

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
P. Cancerides (female) which was #2 on my updated list

G. Pulchripes (unsexed) sling #8 on my list

G. Porteri (unsexed) sling last on my list

G. Rosea sling (unsexed) second to last on my list.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Depends on the price :p those are both great species, but if you're happy with what you got, that's all that matters.

rally

Arachnosquire
I would have gotten the slings and used baked bark from outside.
You crazy thing

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well you might be crazy but if so it's for a different reason. Your not in this hobby to please others. So, if you can keep it properly and don't have to risk starvation to own it then buy the ones you like.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On the pulchra if the price was good. I bought an AF for $50 once, that was a no brainer.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P. Cancerides (female) which was #2 on my updated list

G. Pulchripes (unsexed) sling #8 on my list

G. Porteri (unsexed) sling last on my list

G. Rosea sling (unsexed) second to last on my list.

You aren't crazy. I love my G. pulchras but you got more bang for your buck on this deal.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well you might be crazy but if so it's for a different reason. Your not in this hobby to please others. So, if you can keep it properly and don't have to risk starvation to own it then buy the ones you like.
Boom, there it is. Some people, like myself, actually prefer the 'mundane' NW terrestrials over the coveted OW arboreals. Get what you want; so long as you have the experience to back up your choices, then who cares?

cold blood

Staff member
A rosea sling and a porteri sling...yup, you're certifiably nuts. I'd only take those slings if they came with a $20 attached....I wouldn't even take them if they were free....lol. 4 years and still a sling...no thanks!

The other two are cool though.:)

cold blood

Staff member
Boom, there it is. Some people, like myself, actually prefer the 'mundane' NW terrestrials over the coveted OW arboreals. Get what you want; so long as you have the experience to back up your choices, then who cares?
Yeah, that's the beauty of this hobby, 3 people can all have radically different types of collections, but all three will still have very cool collections.

I have a little of just about everything, I see the appeal in most ts...even if I wouldn't buy them personally.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I want a g pulchra but the price for slow growing slings... I can't justify the price. B.annitha I feel, looks too much like a b. smithi. I would rather have one or the other.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What you decide, get several slings of each to improve your chances of getting a female. if you have a few years into a sling, your only one of that species, and eventually find out it's a male, you have to start all over again.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
They made it alive and well. I can already tell cage maintenance for my P. Cancer idea is going to be fun (I say that sarcastically).

cold blood

Staff member
They made it alive and well. I can already tell cage maintenance for my P. Cancer idea is going to be fun (I say that sarcastically).
They are fun...they have a simply incredible feeding response and they rarely hide.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am thinking about buying two or three more tarantulas at the LPS when I get some crickets