Am I allergic to my T?

greyshark

Arachnopeon
Hi guys!
So two days ago I cleaned my G.pulcrhripes' terrarium and yesterday I started getting these bumps on my hands that are really itchy. I didn't directly touch my spider but I came in contact with everything else (substrate, decor...). Is it possible that the allergy showed a day later or is this something else not related to the spider.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Not an allergy, T's lay down a layer of urticating hairs around their home (enclosure) to ward off predators.
You have been haired from touching the contents.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
It is probably the urticating hairs.. G. pulchripes has these hairs as a means of defense on its abdomen.. These hairs can cause itchiness and a small rash when they come in contact with skin. It's quite normal.. Annoying but normal. :)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have super sensitive skin. Soaps and detergents are all for sensitive skin. Luckily, t hairs have little effect on me. I got haired by my t stirmi and was itchy for a few hours once. That's the only time I have ever had a problem. I have never worn gloves and even ball up her sub and put my hand in it on occasion to assess The moisture.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
In addition to using a latex glove, if you're that sensitive, you might think of buying a pair of long forceps or long tongs. Keep your hand out of the enclosure if at all possible.
I've known of a few people who avoid any species with uricating hairs because it's just too much for them. You aren't alone.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just make sure you don't get them in the eye or mouth
Always wash your hands after working with the cage or the tarantula. (It won't prevent a reaction on your hands, but it helps prevent hairs from being inadvertently transferred from your hands to your eyes.)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Stirmi hairs in the eyes would hurt unimaginably bad :nurse: :zombie: Not sure what I'd do, but it would be bad... that's all the reason I need to keep Urt. hairs off ;)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Thanks guys :) it just seems how it appeared so late.
I don't get any symptoms of contact with urticating hairs until 2-3 days after I've been exposed, and then it lasts for days. Some people just don't get an immediate reaction.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Stirmi hairs in the eyes would hurt unimaginably bad :nurse: :zombie: Not sure what I'd do, but it would be bad... that's all the reason I need to keep Urt. hairs off ;)
My girl fires hairs like a browning 50 caliber. I used to be one of those "UTH don't affect me at all" guys. Lol. She proved me dead wrong.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Goggles and long gloves work wonders when working in enclosure of species known to cause problems with their hairs. Way back when I bought my B. smithi, I found out just how sensitive I am to the hairs laid in her enclosure. Showering slightly helps rid of the itchiness.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As soon as you think you've been exposed, wash your hands with cool water and soap. Unfortunately, the reaction just has to run its course (for me that can be several days or even a week), so prevention is a lot better. If you're sensitive to urticating hairs, tongs and gloves are your friends.

Showering slightly helps rid of the itchiness.
With both poison ivy and urticating hairs, I have found that running hot water (not scalding hot but as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin) over the affected area stops the itching for a while.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Duct tape works best for me. I am really sensitive to Brachypelma urticating hairs, and i put duct tape on my hands after every contact with her enclosure. Just use it as a sort of wax pad. Apply and rip off.
When i somehow still have a reaction, i have found that products meant for insect stings relieve the itching.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I second the use of tongs! I have sensitive skin too and will have awful reactions to just about anything so I don't come into contact a whole lot with enclosure contents. I have gloves and I do most things with tongs. I haven't yet had issues with the hairs but I bet it's just a matter of time.
An actual allergy to a T would be after a bite, right? And if you're allergic to bees this is a possibility and keep your epi pen around.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I second the use of tongs! I have sensitive skin too and will have awful reactions to just about anything so I don't come into e lot with enclosure contents. I have gloves and I do most things with tongs. I haven't yet had issues with the hairs but I bet it's just a matter of time.
An actual allergy to a T would be after a bite, right? And if you're allergic to bees this is a possibility and keep your epi pen around.
Allergic reaction doesn't necessarily only come from a bite. Hay fever is an allergic response to allergens from plant material.

Urticating hairs are perfectly able to cause allergic reaction. (Another term for the the bumps you get from these hairs is urticaria, hence the term urticating hairs).

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Allergic reaction doesn't necessarily only come from a bite. Hay fever is an allergic response to allergens from plant material.

Urticating hairs are perfectly able to cause allergic reaction. (Another term for the the bumps you get from these hairs is urticaria, hence the term urticating hairs).
Thanks for the clarification!