Am I allergic to my T?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
As soon as you think you've been exposed, wash your hands with cool water and soap. Unfortunately, the reaction just has to run its course (for me that can be several days or even a week), so prevention is a lot better. If you're sensitive to urticating hairs, tongs and gloves are your friends.

With both poison ivy and urticating hairs, I have found that running hot water (not scalding hot but as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin) over the affected area stops the itching for a while.

I get hives and intense itching immediately after contact, unfortunately the shower lightened the itching, but the hives stay with me for days at a time. My gf, on the other hand, is lucky. She can go in barehanded, get kicked at and do tank cleanings with no issues. The stirmi loves kicking and she dodges out of the line of fire but has yet to have any reaction lol. Now the itching, I've not tried this, but would the calamine lotion soothe the itching from hairs?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yo

u
No problem!
Also, when allergic to bee/wasp stings doesn't have to mean you're allergic to Theraphosidae venom as well:http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-venom-and-anaphylaxis.287185/
Another of many reasons why I hate the whole "no more dangerous than a bee sting" concept that gives some people a false sense of complacency. Best to treat any of these animals with the wariness you would exercise with an Androctonus bicolor. Better safe than sorry.

It can be a double edge sword because we do not want any more mass hysteria than there already is about them. A hard balance for sure. :(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another of many reasons why I hate the whole "no more dangerous than a bee sting" concept that gives some people a false sense of complacency. Bes/eat any of these animals with the wariness you would exercise with an Androctonus bicolor. Better safe than sorry.

It can be a double edge sword because we do not want any more mass hysteria than there already is about them. A hard balance for sure. :(
Agreed, a delicate balance. We need to instill the need for caution in new keepers, but without causing fear to people who oppose keeping Theraphosidae.
It is one of the first questions i get
from friends/family, 'is it venomous'. 'Yes. All spiders are poisonous'. Friend: :eek: 'you are nuts, you shouldn't keep venomous animals, what if you get bitten and die!:eek:
Me: sigh. :shifty:, 'it's not much worse than a wasp sting'

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Agreed, a delicate balance. We need to instill the need for caution in new keepers, but without causing fear to people who oppose keeping Theraphosidae.
It is one of the first questions i get
from friends/family, 'is it venomous'. 'Yes. All spiders are poisonous'. Friend: :eek: 'you are nuts, you shouldn't keep venomous animals, what if you get bitten and die!:eek:
Me: sigh. :shifty:, 'it's not much worse than a wasp sting'
I try to make a joke out of it. I say things like "well, if a bite were to occur (virtually a non issue if kept properly and treated respectfully) it would be like a wasp sting. A few choice words will likely be said but not much else beyond that."

It usually helps "break the ice" so to speak with the typical "ZOMG YOU HAVE GIANT SPIDERS THAT EAT FACES HOW CAN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT ZOMG" people :meh:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"no more dangerous than a bee sting"
It's not a bad motto at all, for that depicts well ignorance in one blow. IMO was similar to the "smetto quando voglio" (translate: I quit when I want) that of once lowlife scum heroin addicted loved to use :-s

greyshark

Arachnopeon
So it's more then a week since I was doing the cleaning and there are still bumps. The itching comes and goes so it isn't as bad as it was. Do you know exactly which ingredient should i look to find in a cream to help me with this?

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So it's more then a week since I was doing the cleaning and there are still bumps. The itching comes and goes so it isn't as bad as it was. Do you know exactly which ingredient should i look to find in a cream to help me with this?
Duct tape :D
A cream that works here has
Tripelennaminehydrochloride in it. Not sure if this creme is also available in the US.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Is it easy for the urticating hairs to get transferred from one part of you to somewhere else? As an example lets suppose you forget and handle tarantula stuff and then touch your leg, head, etc. What is the chance that some material will arrive there in quantity?

I have been lucky so far since I keep forgetting to wear gloves or a mask. I normally have on glasses though they aren't goggles. I sometimes feel a little itching when I touch a lot of stuff so I need to fix the problem.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Is it easy for the urticating hairs to get transferred from one part of you to somewhere else? As an example lets suppose you forget and handle tarantula stuff and then touch your leg, head, etc. What is the chance that some material will arrive there in quantity?

I have been lucky so far since I keep forgetting to wear gloves or a mask. I normally have on glasses though they aren't goggles. I sometimes feel a little itching when I touch a lot of stuff so I need to fix the problem.
Yes, the hairs stay 'urticating' so to speak, and will travel wherever. So it's always good practice to wash hands after dealing with them, and clean desk and utensils.