Am I a Brachypelma auratum?

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Dear T keepers!

Lately my B. auratum has molted and everything is of course fine with her/him not confirmed the sex yet.

But after the sling hardened I noticed that it's carapace is bit strange. More like for a B. emilia with that dark triangle. The flame tips on the knees seem to be fine as for an Mexican Flame Knee but just wanted to ask You guys just to be sure.

Sorry for the low quality pictures but my camera needs to go to the museum...

Also sorry if my English ain't perfect it's not my native language :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dear T keepers!

Lately my B. auratum has molted and everything is of course fine with her/him not confirmed the sex yet.

But after the sling hardened I noticed that it's carapace is bit strange. More like for a B. emilia with that dark triangle. The flame tips on the knees seem to be fine as for an Mexican Flame Knee but just wanted to ask You guys just to be sure.

Sorry for the low quality pictures but my camera needs to go to the museum...

Also sorry if my English ain't perfect it's not my native language :)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Firstly your english is fine it's better than some english speaking members have performed on here in the past.

Right your tarantula looks like a B auratum and the carapace does look a little odd at first glance, so I've trawled through old pictures of my B auratum and unfortunately I couldn't find pictures of when mine was a similar size but I decided to post the picture below as you can see there's still a distinct triangle on the carapace (which I'd never noticed either) I don't know if this will help but hey at least I've now noticed the same black triangle IMG_20160710_094852.jpg

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Thank You for posting :)

Well I had few other B. auratum in the past but never noticed the triangle before. The knees seems to be ok for that species so I think it's just a young stage "thing" or as we all know every specimen can be bit different. Youre beauty has really very simmiliar thing how does she looks now? Or is it a current picture?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank You for posting :)

Well I had few other B. auratum in the past but never noticed the triangle before. The knees seems to be ok for that species so I think it's just a young stage "thing" or as we all know every specimen can be bit different. Youre beauty has really very simmiliar thing how does she looks now? Or is it a current picture?
This picture is from a few months ago right after a moult.

cold blood

Staff member
It's after it's 5th molt so sling? Still pretty small. But You maybe right with juvie.
I, and many people, stop considering them slings when adult colors start to show....number of molts is not as relevant, as some grow a lot more per molt and others grow a lot less than average per molt.

Once you see adult colors, its an indicator that the t is past that semi-fragile sling stage.

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
Pardon me while I kiss some butt: Cold Blood, your posts are always informative and are intuitively spot on for me. If you ever get the time, with all of your practical knowledge, consider writing a book. I'd be first in line!!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Carapace colors are never an accurate character to ID Brachypelma.

AshS

Arachnosquire
This was my Auratum the day I got her, clearly in pre molt. ( I apologise for the low quality pics were taken in 2009 and my phone camera wasn't that great)

FB_IMG_1495051138188.jpg

This is what she looked like a week later where her colours started to come out.

FB_IMG_1495051155313.jpg

And finally 4 years later she looked like this.

FB_IMG_1495050919725.jpg

I sold her in 2013 when I took a break from the hobby. Selling her is the biggest regret I have.