Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Always Wanted 1

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by busterboy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. busterboy

busterboy Arachnopeon

US
    Advertisement
    I have always wanted a tarantula. Not sure which to get? Any good first pet tarantulas out there? What are the bad ones to stay away from?

2. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

CA
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Helpful x 1
    • Award x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Check out tarantulas in the scientific genuses Brachypelma, Grammostola, and Aphonopelma as well as the tarantula known as Chromatopelma cyanepubescens, or ‘Green Bottle Blue.’ And if you are dedicated to doing things really right because this next spider can die more easier than others due to inadvertent husbandry mistakes, you might take a bit of a gander at the pinktoes, chiefly Avicularia avicularia. :)

4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Brachypelma albopilosum and Grammostola pulchripes are, in my opinion, the two best readily available beginner species you can get.

Generally speaking though, pretty much anything from Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, or Grammostola is a good starting point.

Chromatopelma/Acanthoscurria/Lasiodora/Nhandu/Avicularia/Caribena spp. are also do-able for a newbie if you take certain precautions.

Avoid old world species (those from Europe/Africa/Asia/Oceania) as these tend to be fast/flighty/defensive and have potent venom.

Someone will no doubt pop up saying "you can get anything if you do your research/respect it, I got an OBT as my first and had no problems" but they are the exception, not the rule. I see far too many "My OBT/Pokie escaped/tagged me" posts on FB from people who thought they knew better.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

If you do a search on this forum using 'Best Beginner Species' you will get an abundance of discussions containing suggestions.

6. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnoknight Active Member

I wanted ONE too! Oops.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

Your not ready for one if you don't have any idea which ones are good beginner species. Not doing any independent research is a major red flag.. Research T's for 6 months or so and come back and ask informed questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

G. pulchripes

Man, I haven't seen you around in a while, glad you are back. Research, stop putting the fun into this hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnosquire Active Member

Eupalestrus campastratus is a good beginner species too. Kinda hard to find sometimes though. I would stay away from Grammastola rosea and porteri though. Seems that some think they are obt's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.