Alternative food for slings

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have six A. versi slings that have all fed once on pre-killed pinheads. I have to get more pinheads, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried feeding slings bits of wet dog food, or raw hamburger as an alternative. Pinhead seem to die off faster than bigger crickets. I know when I was young my brother had a B. Smithi that I fed raw hamburger that I dangled on a string. I remembered doing that and thought maybe that would work for slings. Without the string of course....lol

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just get some a bit larger, and cut them up. I would feed my N. chromatus slings a quartered up 1/2" cricket when they were small.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You could feed it larger crickets.
Just pinch the head first.
I very rarely buy pinheads anymore.
Just remember to remove any uneaten parts.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
if i where u i wouldn't use any kind of raw meat at all. you'll get a real bad smell mold mites in almost an instant. anything ur gonna want to avoid you will get with raw meat

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you could try dubia roaches, they live for several days with crushed heads! i usually crush their heads so they won't burrow, but when my larger Ts refuse to eat i sometimes give the roach to my slings even if it's a bit too large for them, and they eat it just fine.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya...I'm going to try some baby dubias I just saw. Didn't know I had any that small...lol. Funny thing is any feeders that still have movement seem to freak the slings out a bit and they run! It's pretty funny actually. Guess they haven't gotten the "attack" down yet...lol. The roaches can't burrow because at present I'm not using any substrate. This advice was givin by member Bill S to help lower the death rate often associated with versi slings. Damp tissue under the lid and dry on bottom about 3/4 of the way up. Their own little clean room so to speak. Less chance of mold or any other issues that may cause complications.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When i had 600+ slings i fed them chopped up mealworms. I would chop the mealworms into 6-10 pieces and feed to the slings, worked out great.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Somewhere I have pics of incei slings eating pasta, threw it into a communal for the isopods and a half doz slings joined in.

Bill

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A long time ago, I used to use frozen beef heart bits that I got at petco. I didn't have any problems then, but I wouldn't do it now. A small prekilled cricket should be fine. If they are hungry, they'll eat it.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I'd just like to add that you don't even have to kill the crickets to feed the slings. I usually pinch off one or both the jumping legs (depends if I plan to feed the cricket to an adult or just put it back), cut 'em in half, And hand' em to my slings. They take 'em no problem. That way you don't have to worry about dying pinheads or burrowing dubia nymphs.