alpha seemanni enclosure question

Sunnybearz

Arachnopeon
I got my first T about 10 months ago, she's a alpha seemanni (costa rican striped knee) and when i first got her i put her in a 10 gal glass tank with a screen lid. I didnt know screen lids could be lethal to T's until recently so im wondering if i should rehouse her? She has about 11-12 inches of substrate where she made a super deep burrow all the way to the bottom. I know when it comes to burrowing species you only rehouse if absolutely needed because it can stress them out very badly. I have not seen her come out of the burrow for awhile let alone climb up the side of the enclosure but i worry she will when im not home or something. I ordered some enclosures from tarantula cribs they are all acrylic and super nice quality but i do not know if i should risk it and dig her out of her burrow. would love to hear some other peoples opinions on this !!

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
The scientific name is Aphonopelma seemanni btw, and yes, you should rehouse. The T will not be happy about it but she will get over it.

Sunnybearz

Arachnopeon
The scientific name is Aphonopelma seemanni btw, and yes, you should rehouse. The T will not be happy about it but she will get over it.
Yeah i know i just always butcher the spelling so "A." or "Apho." is a lot easier for me haha.. (didn't mean to put alpha) but alright sounds good, i will rehouse her tonight after work!! I will post an update letting ya know how it went :) Thanks!!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
It's not extremely urgent due the fossiorial nature of them, you could even keep her in the enclosure and attached a piece of acrylic to the underside of the mesh. This would have saved you the hassle of getting her out and buying new enclosures

But you already bought new enclosures so you pretty much set yourself on the course of digging her out. you could also flood her out or lure her out with a stick/brush, I've seen that work on the wild ones.

Sunnybearz

Arachnopeon
It's not extremely urgent due the fossiorial nature of them, you could even keep her in the enclosure and attached a piece of acrylic to the underside of the mesh. This would have saved you the hassle of getting her out and buying new enclosures

But you already bought new enclosures so you pretty much set yourself on the course of digging her out. you could also flood her out or lure her out with a stick/brush, I've seen that work on the wild ones.
I originally bought the enclosure just to have it for when my OBT reaches a good size and then it would have a good quality permanent home but that is still a long ways away and i can always order another one. I think im gonna try to flood her out i do not want to dig her up and risk the burrow collapsing since she's SO deep under her substrate. The photo doesn’t do much justice i promise its a-lot more deep than it seems 😅

Attachments

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
She’ll be upset but I’d rehouse. I keep my Aphonopelma seemanni in a big clear tub, like ones you’d use for storage. You can get them at Walmart, drill holes in the sides for ventilation. They’re deeper than most commercial enclosures, great for fossorials. For the rehousing I’d check out Tom Moran on YouTube. He has ways of rehousing that I’ve learned from. And A. seemanni appreciate some moisture so don’t forget to keep the sub slightly damp on one side, they’ll probably make their burrow there.

I almost forgot to add, giving them a cricket or roach to eat during the rehouse usually makes them less skittish and flighty, if she ends up being a handful.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'd just replace the mesh lid with an acrylic one. Much easier than rehousing. It's an A seemanni so if it is in its burrow you
should have time to swap the lid out

Sunnybearz

Arachnopeon
Forgot to post an update but new enclosure is muchh better :) i gave her TONS of substrate to make some good burrows
unnamed-1.jpg unnamed.jpg

joossa

Arachnobaron
I'd just replace the mesh lid with an acrylic one. Much easier than rehousing. It's an A seemanni so if it is in its burrow you
should have time to swap the lid out
Was going to say this, but then saw the rehouse already happened. Tarantula Cribs largest terrestrial enclosure is too small for older (larger) terrestrial Ts, IMO.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Was going to say this, but then saw the rehouse already happened. Tarantula Cribs largest terrestrial enclosure is too small for older (larger) terrestrial Ts, IMO.
Agreed. I think it looks like it's probably fine for now but she might need another rehousing next time she molts (hard to tell without topdown view). My girl just molted for the first time in over two years though so you probably have some time still.

And there is such a thing as too much substrate, it's good you're trying to give her as much as possible though! :D Mine digs straight to the bottom no matter how much sub I give her. Problem comes when they start burrowing and bring a bunch up to the surface. Looks like the height is maybe 3/4 of her DLS at the moment - when she starts digging that dirt'll be right up to the top! If that water dish is heavy I'd keep a close eye on it too - if she burrows under it could become a hazard.