Alopecosa kochi care

Borttor

Arachnopeon
Alopecosa kochi. Is the species of wolf spider we have here and get up to like three inches either way does anyone know how to take care of these guys they're local so I figure I could probably catch one but I'm just curious cuz I don't know I think it would be an easy first I know that they are mildly venomous and they can give you up pretty gnarly bite that can make you sick for a while but if previous experience tells me anything well their bite is pretty painful it doesn't really result in anything for myself I don't have much of a reaction luckily but does anyone know like the type of substrate or whatever you would want to use with these guys or are they just not really good for having as pets or whatever I don't know I just think they're really cute and it is one of my favorite spiders after all

Jororo

Arachnopeon
I feel like a lot of wolf spiders, people just don't bother to find or put actual care info online as a lot of it is hard to come by aside from a general "wolf spider" care sheet. I also really like to collect wolf spiders from my area. Just pay attention to where you find them and use that as a general guide. Is the ground moist? Is it loose or packed dirt, is the spider under rocks, bark, or in a hole that it dug. Then recreate that. For example I find a lot of wolf spiders near our local reservoir. The soil is fairly damp where I find them and they're always under rocks. So I give them moist substrate and a rock and that's all they need. If they're a burrower then you may only need the substrate. I caught a few in South Carolina that created circular burrows in pckrd sandy soil, so I it them up in deep packed sand and dirt mix and they made their homes. The sand probably wasn't necessary but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Whatever substrate you normally use is fine. You can use eco earth or whatever. Honestly if you're catching them from outside you can basically get everything you need from the area. Grab some dirt and sticks and maybe even the rock you find it under and just put it all in an enclosure. Wolf spiders are super easy and so much fun.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I’d just keep it on slightly damp/dry coco fiber with a water dish. Feed once a week and make sure that the water dish remains full.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with the others. Of all the true spider families I have experience with, Lycosids are among the hardiest. I think it’s always good to provide them with a decent amount of space and substrate for burrowing, but other than that they’re pretty flexible.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I kept mine the same as my tarantulas. Dirt, water, food. I had one in my classroom in the fall so I threw it in a critter keeper and kept it till it was warm out again. I let it go outside.