Alone in empty space, a sad scorp?

will

Arachnopeon
Hello fellow scorp enthusiasts. : ) I just want your opinion on this. Will a 1inch (or lesser) scorpion feel 'stressed' if it was put on a wide floor space enclosure that only contains flat substrate (coco peat, sand, etc...) and no decorations on it? Not even a rock. Just a pure plain substrate plus a water dish.

I'm just a bit paranoid because lately, I got some food keepers of around 4x4 inch for my new scorps. I just put in plain cocopeat and a bottle cap for water and that's it. Then I noticed that my scorps just stay on the corner. Then something just went playing in my mind. Something like "will this kind if enclosure setup stresses my scorpion?".

Thanks and thanks Arachnoboards. : )

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
It would help to know what species you have. All burrowing species can dig their own if the substrate is deep enough. All of my scorpions & tarantulas have at least one hide, their favorites are the pvc pipe cut in half. Otherwise, its a slab of shale rock or bark placed at an angle with another slab underneath so it doesnt fall on them as they are making a burrow. The bark scorpions will also use things to hide under as well as upright sticks to climb on & molt on. Kim

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this is a silly question (understatement)......do some research before you get an animal.....:rolleyes:

Scorpions are nocturnal and thus photophobic... get some hides in there for their wellbeing....that prevents stress...Do you live in a house without a roof? No? I'll bet there is a reason for that:D:D

llamastick

Arachnoknight
You should mention species/instar when asking questions, but anyway, put something in for them to hide. Even if it's as simple as a little bit of bark/broken pottery/cork wood etc. also, make sure the substrate is deep enough, for burrowing species.

They don't mind being alone, as they're mostly territorial in the first place. They do get stressed out being exposed to light with nowhere to hide, though. Very agoraphobic animals.

will

Arachnopeon
Good day everyone. Sorry for the late reply. My internet went down south yesterday. Anyway, here are my scorps details :

Androctonus Australis (4 instar)
Hottenteta hottenteta (4 instar)
Scorpio Maurus (3 instar)
Parabuthus transvaalicus (5 instar)

And a freebie Hottenteta hottenteta (2 instar)

I'm particular with hides and other natural habitat simulation but this "plain enclosure" idea just went out when I thought of a "scorp housing project" which I will post on a new thread and I hope you guys will also give your experienced opinion on it. : )

Anyway, going back to the subject, I think I'll just stick then with hides on. :D

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I think it would be freaked out...
When ever I put a scorpion into an enclouser they roam around, its like they are setting parameters for there surroundings.

With a blank space, it would never really know where it is ? lol :wall:

Interesting to think about.

One documentary I watched suggested that desert species could potentially navigate by the stars...

And as said put something in there... most "bark" scorpions will molt upside down or on an angel.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I read a post on here a while back about someone testing that. I can't remember the poster or the title. It was desert species IIRC. I do remember that the conclusion was: with just a basic hide (a single piece of wood) the scorp was much calmer than when it was left in a tank with nothing but a level layer of substrate.

As well anyone that's ever watched a bug can tell you when they're scared they generally want somewhere to scurry to.

It doesn't have to be fancy but give a critter something more than 4 walls and floor.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good day everyone. Sorry for the late reply. My internet went down south yesterday. Anyway, here are my scorps details :

Androctonus Australis (4 instar)
Hottenteta hottenteta (4 instar)
Scorpio Maurus (3 instar)
Parabuthus transvaalicus (5 instar)

And a freebie Hottenteta hottenteta (2 instar)...
I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, but are you a fairly experienced scorpion keeper? I ask because your question would lead me to think perhaps you are not and some of those scorpions are all sorts of dangerous (really toxic venom, especially the underlined one's..and the Hotentotta's are no joke either). If you're not an experienced keeper, I'd suggest trading at least the 2 really toxic ones above for something equally cool but less toxic (like a Hadrurus arizonensis or something). If you're dead set on keeping them anyway, at least read up alot really fast on best practices for keeping "hot" scorpions. If either one of those guys stings you or gets out of it's enclosure, you're in for a bumpy/potentially-life-threatening ride.

If you're experienced, my bad for the mistake, but just trying to help (you can never be too careful).