Almost two and a half years later...

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hasn't molted...
Hasn't eaten in over a year...

Meet Arnold!

I wanted to share this comparison to maybe ease the worries a little bit of new keepers when their spiders don't eat or molt for a few weeks lol

1547028792795.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hasn't molted...
Hasn't eaten in over a year...

Meet Arnold!

I wanted to share this comparison to maybe ease the worries a little bit of new keepers when their spiders don't eat or molt for a few weeks lol
Knowing Arnold might one day molt and resume eating... It fills you with determination.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Wow this should remove all panic from anyone that missed a meal. So how long can they actually go without eating?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Wow this should remove all panic from anyone that missed a meal. So how long can they actually go without eating?
Depends entirely on how quickly they were fattened up post molt. Some other species like G.porteri have been known to fast for years on end.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Rated lollipop because i don't have the coolie emoji and i think Arnold is sneaking in junk food when you aren't looking.....

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rated lollipop because i don't have the coolie emoji and i think Arnold is sneaking in junk food when you aren't looking.....
I was going to ask what the lollipop rating meant! Lol

Maybe he had dubia stashed in his log all this time :p

Knowing Arnold might one day molt and resume eating... It fills you with determination.
I will see this through!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow this should remove all panic from anyone that missed a meal.
It won't because few people do the the due diligence and actually SEARCH for info, instead the drop by and ask questions and wait for answers, as they are lazy.

So how long can they actually go without eating?
No one really knows. My B. albo no food for at least 18 months.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My A. chalcodes has been in my possession for nearly 2 years and has never molted in my care either. She has a bald spot on her abdomen and it still shows no signs of darkening up. These critters are like pretty little statues.

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire
My less than 1/2 inch sling hasn't eaten since early October. That thing stresses me out so much. I'm always afraid I'm going to peek into its burrow and find it dead.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Finally got a moult from my girl this year - after over two years with me. I have no idea when she moulted last, but it was a minimum of two years.
She fasts over the winter, but eats well in the warmer months. Last year, she went without food from November to March. This is how they manage to last for decades.

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It won't because few people do the the due diligence and actually SEARCH for info, instead the drop by and ask questions and wait for answers, as they are lazy.
I think people assume the whole world should work like facebook... Everything is supposed to be instant and new. No retention or consideration for anything posted more than 5 minutes ago. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Personally, i find i usually get a MUCH FASTER, and MORE DETAILED answer to any questions by using the search function than i do starting a thread.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think people assume the whole world should work like facebook... Everything is supposed to be instant and new. No retention or consideration for anything posted more than 5 minutes ago. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Personally, i find i usually get a MUCH FASTER, and MORE DETAILED answer to any questions by using the search function than i do starting a thread.
Many times I see people waiting a hours, days for answers that they could find in minutes if they weren't so lazy.

Stevecooperwa

Arachnopeon
I gotten a free rose hair off of Craigslist and I have had her for almost 5 years now and she fasted for almost 2 years before she resume eating.