Almost Ready for a first T

dokpm0

Arachnopeon
Fellow Tarantula Fans,

I've been curious about tarantulas probably since I was a kid, but hadn't considered getting one until recently. I stumbled across a T keeping video on YouTube a while back and now I think I'm a T video addict. I've done some reading on Stanley Schultz's website. I've also ordered his book, but mistakenly ordered the second addition instead of the third edition. It hasn't arrived yet. With the research I've done so far I've learned just enough to know that I have a lot to learn.

I've only found one local shop that carries T's so far, Critters Exotic Pets. I stopped by today and checked out their very limited selection. They only had four T's in stock, and only one that they would recommend for a newbie. The clerk referred to the newbie friendly one as a Metallica Pink Toe. The deli container it was in was just labelled M.P.T. The clerk took the T out and handled him/her. I'm terrible at size gestimates, but I would say the T's DLS was probably around 2", or maybe a little more. The T jumped from the clerk's hand to the floor two or three times before settling down a bit. He/she never stopped moving while the clerk handled him/her. The clerk asked if I wanted to try handling the T. I gave it a shot. The T went from the clerk to my hand, climbed up my arm just past my wrist, and stopped. It appeared to sit there calmly without moving until the clerk took him/her back to return him/her to his/her deli container. All in all it was a pleasant first handling experience. I know handling is frowned upon by most people in the hobby these days. I'm okay with acquiring T's that can't, or shouldn't, be handled. If I want animals to cuddle with, I have dogs. But I definitely wouldn't mind having a T, or two, that can be handled on rare occasions.

The clerk said they usually try to keep pink toes and rose hairs in stock, but the rose hairs sell out pretty quickly. He said the others they had in stock while I was there were bird eaters. They are willing to special order other species. They just require 1/2 the price be paid up front for special orders.

What do y'all think about a pink toe as a first T? I was leaning towards a terrestrial T for a first T. I was planning on waiting until pay-day before buying anything anyway, so I'll see what they have in after then. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other T sources in the general Waco, TX area I'd love to hear about them.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I know handling is frowned upon by most people in the hobby these days.
It's frowned upon because of people like that clerk....the T could have sustained life threatening injuries from the fall. That being said this isn't about handling. I naturally tell people to stay away from Avics when they start out just because of the conditions they require may be too much for a beginner. If it's at least 2" dls than at least its a little bit hardier but i'd go with what you leaned towards at first....a terrestrial imo. If you go with a terrestrial...what are you looking for?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So, a pet store is selling P. metallica as a starter T, eh? More likely that the pinktoe is actually an A. aviculara. That is the only arboreal that most people would agree is somewhat beginner friendly (but not the slings, which are fragile.) I'd stick with terrestrials, but G. rosea isn't very good for beginners either, with its inactivity and tendency to go on long fasts.

I don't know what is worse...a pet store trying to start someone new with an actual P. metallica OR the pet store being so clueless that they get the species totally wrong, which could result in improper care and death of the T.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So, a pet store is selling P. metallica as a starter T, eh? More likely that the pinktoe is actually an A. aviculara. That is the only arboreal that most people would agree is beginner friendly (but not the slings, which are fragile.)

I don't know what is worse...a pet store trying to start someone new with an actual P. metallica OR the pet store being so clueless that they get the species totally wrong, which could result in improper care and death of the T.
haha Avicularia metallica, very different species.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
And this is why I shouldn't talk about arboreals. :D I hear about P. metallica constantly, but I didn't know there was an A. metallica.

That said, I still think most NW terrestrials are easier to deal with as a first T. Slower and easier to care for.

Last edited:

Kayis

Arachnopeon
You know what....before @cold blood comes in here and slams "G. Pulchripes" with his picture. I'm going to go ahead and say i recommend a G. Pulchripes first. He can follow up with the rest.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You know what....before @cold blood comes in here and slams "G. Pulchripes" with his picture. I'm going to go ahead and say i recommend a G. Pulchripes first. He can follow up with the rest.
I was going to suggest G. pulchripes or B. albopilosum myself. Hard to go wrong with either, and they're both cheap.

Last edited:

dokpm0

Arachnopeon
It's frowned upon because of people like that clerk....the T could have sustained life threatening injuries from the fall.
Even as a newbie life threatening injuries was the first thing I thought of the first time the T jumped. Actually the thought crossed my mind before the T hit the floor. Thankfully he/she did appear to at least land gracefully on his/her feat each time.

If you go with a terrestrial...what are you looking for?
I'm still figuring out what I'm looking for.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I would suggest you spend an evening,and go through every( or most every) post on AB.Bone up on what is said and the replies offered.
The info,wrong or correct,will give you insite into t husbandry.Then,make your choice.
Taranula Keepers Guide is good,and if anyone knows a better one,please enlighten us all.
MOST of all,let this be fun for you.T,s will endure themselves to you,or you will come to the conclusine they are not for you.
But,you have to get your feet wet.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
And of coarse I meant conclusion.Crap,if I could only learn spell!!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What do y'all think about a pink toe as a first T? I was leaning towards a terrestrial T for a first T. I was planning on waiting until pay-day before buying anything anyway, so I'll see what they have in after then. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other T sources in the general Waco, TX area I'd love to hear about them.
I had no trouble keeping two Avics as my first Ts, but a lot of people discourage brand new keepers from getting Avics, because Avics are more sensitive to bad husbandry. (Avics are killed when novice keepers adhere to care sheets that give humidity requirements, which misleads keepers into using poorly ventilated cages in order to maintain some arbitrary humidity reading.)

If you do get one, I would avoid spiderlings (under 2"). The juveniles and adults are more hardy (but still more sensitive to novice mistakes than a juvenile NW terrestrial).

Some basic Avicularia care information from viper69: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@dokpm0

Welcome to the world of Ts. I strongly suggest you keep doing research before you purchase. There are numerous breeders/dealers who can ship to you for example. There's no rush to get something that you MAY not be ready for. A lot of Ts are captive born, (get captive born) and thus there is no need to hurry and get one.

Remember, the level of research you do will only benefit your Ts life once obtained. It's a wild animal that depends entirely upon YOUR knowledge for its survival/LIFE.

The A. metallica shouldn't be handled for the reason you observed, Avics jump w/out notice and can die.

What do y'all think about a pink toe as a first T?
Terrible idea.

I was leaning towards a terrestrial T for a first T
SMART idea. I would recommend G. pulchripes or E. sp. Red (dwarf T)

an AF E. sp. Red of mine below

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah I would go with a NW terrestrial first. Get your basic tarantula husbandry down with one of those before moving to arboreals. There's nothing wrong with arboreals...they're actually my favorites in general...but they have some different husbandry requirements and tend to be very fast (some of them are VERY fast). There are plenty of beautiful and interesting NW terrestrials out there to choose from.

dokpm0

Arachnopeon
If you go with a terrestrial...what are you looking for?
Looking for too many things can eliminate most if not all the T's out there. So I've come up with a short list of essentials, and another list if things that would be nice to have, but I can live without.

Essentials:
  • docile
  • slow moving
  • hardy enough to tolerate any husbandry mistakes I might make while learning proper T husbandry
  • not a hair flicker, or at least a hair flicker with very mild hairs
  • budget friendly
  • available locally or from a near-by seller to eliminate shipping costs or keep them to a minimum
Nice to have, but can live without:
  • female (I realize budget friendly will likely mean unsexed)
  • gorgeous coloring
  • handleable, not that I would make a habit of it, but something I could handle on rare occasions would be nice
  • moderate to fast groth rate
I hate to make cost an essential concern, but on the other hand I don't want to spend a lot on a first T, then find out that I don't enjoy the hobby as much as I thought I would. Though I suspect that after getting one I'll be hooked and potato chip syndrome will set in. :)

Kayis

Arachnopeon
G. pulchripes is a fantastic starter. I agree with the general sentiment to stick to nw terrestrials.
I'll stick with G. Pulchripes as a recommended starter. Euathlus sp. Red would be perfect for those that want some kind of handling but it grows way slow and sexed females will be in the 100$+ range. Quite a few others that would fit as well of course. A few from the Brachypelma....B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. Smithi, B. Emilia. Temperaments will vary...just because they are regarded to be "docile" doesn't mean the one you get will be that way or won't change after a molt, so keep that in mind. I suggest you look for something that isn't a sling. Juvenile or adult would probably be best for you.

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
G. pulchripes is a fantastic starter. I agree with the general sentiment to stick to nw terrestrials.
Id say say G.pulchers,but that may mess with the budget requirement.Cold Blood is giving good advise on the G.pulchripes,as are others.
Your list of'" essentials",and " would be nice",is going to cause conflicts,as you will soon discover.
But,best of luck,and welcome to the T world.