All Maryland Reptile Show?

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, ArachnoCon is an annual event. As for changing locations each time, next week is the second A'Con and it is being held in San Antonio, at the same facilities as last year. So, two shows, one place. We are exploring changing to a new city for #3, but it is premature to even think about a third event until we get through this one. Our ArachnoCon planning committee conducted research, primarily through a poll on this forum, and confirmed what we believed: that our attendees consider the opportunity to see tarantulas and other arachnids in the wild to be a priority. Therefore, you can expect future ArachnoCons (assuming there are any) to remain in the southwest US.

People travel from all over the country for ArachnoCon. Some come from Canada and Mexico and last year we had Germans and if there is a #3 we expect some Brits. So the question is not whether the ultimate gathering of arachnid enthusiasts is coming to your area, but what you need to do to travel to it. Remember, A'Con/Arachnopets/Arachnoboards owners Debby & Scott Scher live in New York. So they are east coasters that head west to an area appropriate for a convention for arachnid lovers among whom the overwhelming majority are primarily interested in tarantulas.

We hope you and others from wherever will join us next year. It's never too early to start planning and saving.

To answer your question directly, the only other "primarily arachnid show" in the US is the ATS Conference, which was formerly held in Carlsbad, New Mexico and has been recently held in Phoenix, Arizona. Same reasons... tarantula habitat.

I should mention that there are those, like me, who are much more interested in the educational (lectures) aspects, with a secondary interest in the expo's exhibits and sales. The thought of having an arachnid conference of sorts in 'non-tarantula' country has crossed my mind more than a few times. But, as I mentioned above, we have listened to the people and they want to trek around the desert, so what type of attendance a conference without field trip opportunities could draw is a big question mark.

Cheers, Michael
DID Anyone Tape It for me????????????

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We hope you and others from wherever will join us next year. It's never too early to start planning and saving.

I should mention that there are those, like me, who are much more interested in the educational (lectures) aspects, with a secondary interest in the expo's exhibits and sales. The thought of having an arachnid conference of sorts in 'non-tarantula' country has crossed my mind more than a few times. But, as I mentioned above, we have listened to the people and they want to trek around the desert, so what type of attendance a conference without field trip opportunities could draw is a big question mark.

Cheers, Michael
i only recently joined AB and had never heard of ArachnoCon but will definitely be on the look out for news about ArachnoCon 2008!! {D i am interested in all ArachnoCon has to offer from educational lectures, exhibits, as well as, trekking around the desert!! Too bad i'm guessing the lectures can't be recorded and then sold for those who can't attend... :(

Just learning how to sex a small T with an exoskeleton from what i've read and picture examples i've seen on AB is exciting. i sexed a little 2" OBT exo the other day (another girl!!) and i could have never done that in the past, when i kept T's over 10 years ago. i love to learn as much as i can about most anything that interest me. i can't begin to imagine how educational ArachnoCon will be!! i will definitely be saving for next year!!

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey the show was pretty good....i ended up buying a skeleton that they had on display. shes about a year old and awesome. while we were there we saw one of the vendors was selling a "rose hair" that looked nothing like a rose hair, it looked like togo starburst or something like it but because the guy had no idea what it was (he said it came to the store labeled "rose hair") he was selling it for $10. we almost grabbed it to save some poor soul from discovering their $10 rose hair was an aggressive crazy a$$ spider but we got so caught up in the skeleton we forgot all about it.

did you see it there etown? what did you think it was?

Yes, I saw that very odd looking "rose hair" lol. First thing that came to my mind was something along the lines of fast and bitey and wanted nothing to do with it LOL. The way it was hunched up sorta reminded me of a pokie.

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
quick qestion for you all...when you guys say pokie do you mean one of the ornamentals..? honestly this guy was orange or tan and had some marking like one of the baboon spiders >starburst,togo..ect but agin the dude had no idea..lol The skeleton seems to be pretty well manored and were pretty happy with it. But deffently cool to see all the differnt spiders there and on display...there also was about a 4" indian ornamental there and a giant baboon there as well all pretty decently priced. I saw a fire leg but he wanted $125 and wasnt shure if it was male or female at 3".
But to (etown) we didnt get to the show till like 2:00 or so but all wasnt put away yet even some realy creapy frogs were still chillin on the desk.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pokey is slang for gunus poecilotheria, also called ornamentals. They're a large, fast growing indian and asian (i think) arboreal genus. They're known for being fast and defensive and posessing rather potent venom. They're also known for being freakin gorgeous! I've been told by some however that the bitey defensiveness is overrated and that they can be teddy bears if just given the proper respect. I haven't tried one yet but i will sooner or later.

Are you talking about the table that was on the inner ring on a corner off to the left that had mostly reptiles and frogs but also a few t's on bark chips? They had stuff marked as Avics that weren't Avics and i believe they did have some sort of baboon t that was not marked as anything. In retrospect maybe i should have picked up one of the mystery t's at a bargain but i just kept on moving cuz i figured they were WC. If there's a comparably nice CB i'm going for that every time.

Last edited:

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah that table off to the left with the unmarked baboon. the guy was like uh...its a rose hair, $10. we're kicking ourselves now. i wish they had shipping errors like that to our local pet store!

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you talking about the table that was on the inner ring on a corner off to the left that had mostly reptiles and frogs but also a few t's on bark chips? They had stuff marked as Avics that weren't Avics and i believe they did have some sort of baboon t that was not marked as anything. .
it was the inner ring on an end cap on the one end of the room. I don't remember my orientation very well, but I am pretty sure it was the left hand side of the room when you entered. He had on the corner table a bunch of avic avic pinktoes and rose hairs but one spider mixed in with the rose hair containers wasn't a rose hair or a pinktoe. I think it was Reptile Kingdom's tables.