All Maryland Reptile Expo - November 6. 9am - 3pm

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
No, I don't live nearby, but just wanted to give your post a like for calling them royal pythons. :)

Calling them anything else is barbaric, I think.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, I don't live nearby, but just wanted to give your post a like for calling them royal pythons. :)

Calling them anything else is barbaric, I think.
Ball- coil up!

Anyone else planning to check it out?

It’s been so long since I’ve been to an expo, the last time was when I was still breeding royal pythons five or six years back, so it would be nice to have some fellow invert loving friends there!

http://mdreptilefarm.com/havre-de-grace-maryland/
might go

dman13760

Arachnosquire
this may be a dumb question, as it is called the "Maryland Reptile Expo", but will there be inverts there?

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Ball- coil up!
Python regius = literally, the Royal python. I meant 'barbaric' in the original Latin sense, too, as 'one who does not speak Latin' (and instead mutters "bar-bar-bar-bar").

Can't demand folks use scientific names for Ts and then ignore the fabulously accurate common name for the Royal python. ;)

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
@viper69 Two things.
1. If you go, come say hi. 😂 I am easy to see over, so it’s okay if you don’t
2. What @Malum Argenteum said about regalis but also African royalty used to wear them as jewelry, which solidifies the fact that they are royal pythons, in my book

this may be a dumb question, as it is called the "Maryland Reptile Expo", but will there be inverts there?
There will be! I’ve never been to a reptile expo that didn’t have inverts, actually. But I’ve only ever gone to this one and Repticon, so there may be smaller ones that don’t have them.
Past years shows had vinegaroons, scorpions, centipedes, and tarantulas, plus a ridiculous amount of snoot boopable reptiles, so I assume this year will be the same.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Anyone else planning to check it out?

It’s been so long since I’ve been to an expo, the last time was when I was still breeding royal pythons five or six years back, so it would be nice to have some fellow invert loving friends there!

http://mdreptilefarm.com/havre-de-grace-maryland/
I’m vending there. Come say hi! I go every month but it’s only my second time vending this show

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I’m vending there. Come say hi! I go every month but it’s only my second time vending this show
Oh, that’s awesome! Definitely will! I’ve got some money saved up specifically for this that’s itching to be spent on a new T. I need another one like a hole in the head but I’m gonna do it anyway 😂

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 Two things.
1. If you go, come say hi. 😂 I am easy to see over, so it’s okay if you don’t
2. What @Malum Argenteum said about regalis but also African royalty used to wear them as jewelry, which solidifies the fact that they are royal pythons, in my book

There will be! I’ve never been to a reptile expo that didn’t have inverts, actually. But I’ve only ever gone to this one and Repticon, so there may be smaller ones that don’t have them.
Past years shows had vinegaroons, scorpions, centipedes, and tarantulas, plus a ridiculous amount of snoot boopable reptiles, so I assume this year will be the same.
Ball makes more sense to me.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
"snoot boopable" lol :lol:
That's a good point. I don't think it is consistent both to "boop snoots" (I feel dumb even writing that) and insist on proper names consistent with the Latinate conventions. The latter is for serious sophisticated keepers, and the former is for...I don't know...poseurs? Tik Tok stars? Future ER patients? ;)

J/K on most of this -- all in good fun. :)

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
That's a good point. I don't think it is consistent both to "boop snoots" (I feel dumb even writing that) and insist on proper names consistent with the Latinate conventions. The latter is for serious sophisticated keepers, and the former is for...I don't know...poseurs? Tik Tok stars? Future ER patients? ;)

J/K on most of this -- all in good fun. :)
Excuse you, sir or ma'am. It is perfectly sophisticated to boop snoots. Paris Hilton used to boop her little dogs' snoot. (Okay, maybe that's a bad analogy because it's Paris Hilton but it's all I got 😂)

I don't honestly care what people call anything. I call GBB's Greenbottle Blues because I'll be darned if I'm going to spell out its long scientific name every single time - also I can't spell it to save my life. But I call my B. hamorii exactly that. :p

I'm going to say this next bit for anyone new that might be perusing this conversation and feel bad that they don't know the scientific name for their T or other animal yet -

Ultimately, as long as the person you're talking to knows what you mean, I don't think it matters whether you use the common name or the scientific one. There are several species of tarantula that are labeled as a Mexican Red Knee in pet shops (B. hamorii, B. boehmei, B. emilia, to name a few), so the scientific name definitely helps in those instances but, overall, I'm of the opinion that it doesn't actually matter. Hypothetically, if I were to tell Malum that I wanted to buy their GBB, they would know exactly what I mean. I could also tell them that I want to buy their Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and, from what little bit of knowledge I have about them, they'd most likely understand that too. However, if I were to go to them and say "Hey, you know that spider with the legs and the fangs and it's kinda got some colors on it?" or if I made up my own name for it "I want that blue tiger jumper spider!" then there are a number of spiders that could refer to, especially the first one.

Oh.
And @Malum Argenteum? If I could be a Tik Tok star and not have to deal with PEBKAC errors all day, I'd do that in a heartbeat. :rofl:

Y'all picking on me about wanting to boop snoots.
But I'm willing to bet that you at least gave one of those little off-center grins where you only move one side of your mouth and exhale out of your nose instead of actually chuckling. :kiss:

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Yes, as long as we're on the right path.... :)

I completely agree about non-ambiguous idenfication. Though I do think there is a lot of knowledge to be gained by understanding the basics of biological taxonomy (yes, even for a novice), the ID part is the most important.

We'd better end the booping discussion while we're still on good terms, though. ;)

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, as long as we're on the right path.... :)

I completely agree about non-ambiguous idenfication. Though I do think there is a lot of knowledge to be gained by understanding the basics of biological taxonomy (yes, even for a novice), the ID part is the most important.

We'd better end the booping discussion while we're still on good terms, though. ;)
I had to go back and figure out where I used the word “yet” 😂

I think it’s an awesome thing to learn, especially if you study the background of the scientific names!

I’m not easily offended, don’t worry. If I can live in a house where everyone holds a polar opposite political viewpoint from mine, I can handle snoot boops;):lol:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Here are a couple of pictures of a ball python that I rescued from a neighboring apartment in the building I live in. This little thing was found moving across the living room floor of my neighbor who picked it up and put it in a cardboard box. He then proceeded to call the building owners who then started calling everyone that lived in the building asking if they lost a pet snake. When I got the call, I walked down the hall, knocked on the guy's door to see what he found. When he opened the cardboard box I found the sweetest little ball python scared and very tightly rolled in a ball. I walked it back over to my apartment and set up a temporary home for it. After a couple of hours sitting in my spare bedroom, which is always dark and warm, the little snake unrolled itself and started exploring.

You know what the first thing I did once it was relaxed and able to be handled? I booped its cute little snoot! :rofl:

The next day I gave it to a friend of mine who then gave it to someone else better equipped to take care of it properly.

Attachments

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Here are a couple of pictures of a ball python that I rescued from a neighboring apartment in the building I live in. This little thing was found moving across the living room floor of my neighbor who picked it up and put it in a cardboard box. He then proceeded to call the building owners who then started calling everyone that lived in the building asking if they lost a pet snake. When I got the call, I walked down the hall, knocked on the guy's door to see what he found. When he opened the cardboard box I found the sweetest little ball python scared and very tightly rolled in a ball. I walked it back over to my apartment and set up a temporary home for it. After a couple of hours sitting in my spare bedroom, which is always dark and warm, the little snake unrolled itself and started exploring.

You know what the first thing I did once it was relaxed and able to be handled? I booped its cute little snoot! :rofl:

The next day I gave it to a friend of mine who then gave it to someone else better equipped to take care of it properly.
People in the herp hobby like to poo on normals but I think they’re just the most stunning little things!
I’m so glad that story has a happy ending, it would’ve broken my heart if you said it went back to the first owner who didn’t care for it properly.

i admire your ingenuity, though. I never thought about using Wheat Thins box as a hide 😂 I used PVC pipe with a cap on one end or, if the snake was too big, I DIY’d one or used a big wood piece. I miss my snakes :sad:

Pythons are the puppies of the herp world. Just like hognoses are the drama queens of it.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
People in the herp hobby like to poo on normals but I think they’re just the most stunning little things!
I’m so glad that story has a happy ending, it would’ve broken my heart if you said it went back to the first owner who didn’t care for it properly.

i admire your ingenuity, though. I never thought about using Wheat Thins box as a hide 😂 I used PVC pipe with a cap on one end or, if the snake was too big, I DIY’d one or used a big wood piece. I miss my snakes :sad:

Pythons are the puppies of the herp world. Just like hognoses are the drama queens of it.
That was the mystery of the whole thing. The original owners must of lost it in their apartment and moved out without finding it. The guy who found it was living there for a few months before the snake made its appearance. The finder was terrified of snakes and told me he got it in the cardboard box by picking it up with drum sticks. No one knew how long the snake was living free in that apartment or even who the original owners were.

And yes, Mr. Snek liked his Wheat Thins box. After he did his exploring, got a drink of water, and got his snoot booped, he retired to it and didn't want to come out again.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
That was the mystery of the whole thing. The original owners must of lost it in their apartment and moved out without finding it. The guy who found it was living there for a few months before the snake made its appearance. The finder was terrified of snakes and told me he got it in the cardboard box by picking it up with drum sticks. No one knew how long the snake was living free in that apartment or even who the original owners were.

And yes, Mr. Snek liked his Wheat Thins box. After he did his exploring, got a drink of water, and got his snoot booped, he retired to it and didn't want to come out again.
That’s so weird! I’m still glad he wound up somewhere safe and happy.
And good on you for taking in a strange snake! I hope you both enjoyed the boop. :)