Old Timer
Hierudola sp., frontin'

Youse wants summa dis?

Ghosty(Phyllocrania paradoxa)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
WOW John,

Those are some nice pics and great mantis'.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, Those are some nice pics. Did you have them since they were smaller? Do they live for a while? either way great photos.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thanks, y'all- these were raised by my wife from young nymphs. We should be doing some mating soon(the mantids, not us;)). The leafiness of the legs/wings is for camouflage. Mantids live typically from 8 months to 2 years.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
A couple more:

I forget the binomial...brain is scattered today

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
doesnt it hurt when they grab u with those sharp arm thingys? I was hurt by a mantis when i was little (found it in the garden) so I quickly lost intrest haha

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
doesnt it hurt when they grab u with those sharp arm thingys? I was hurt by a mantis when i was little (found it in the garden) so I quickly lost intrest haha
Nah, you get used to it when doing maintenance. After being needled by Lethocerus & bitten by fire ants this summer, I tend not to notice much anymore;)

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The lighting was just perfect in that last set. How long did you and the mantis have to stay out in the sun to get it just right? :}

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Bugs, morning light is my best friend! If I can drag my body out of bed it is the best time to shoot, esp. before clouds start moving about...afternoon light is so uneven from moment to moment.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pictures gave me a nice laugh today haha!! :D:D:D Always thought about keeping one or two mantids maybe a ghost mantid or one of those dead leaf looking ones.