ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they look like Opilione

harvestmen, daddly long legs, etc

crazy looking ones

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen a drawing of one in a book about six years ago, some tropical species of Harvestman

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
they look like Opilione

harvestmen, daddly long legs, etc

crazy looking ones
I agree, it looks like it belongs to the family Gonyleptidae; which contains the harvestmen with the largest bodies.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, good call on the Gonyleptidae but I believe it is actually a Cosmetidae. Of course it is impossible to tell without counting tarsal segments but it looks like a Cosmetid, despite the spines that are often seen in Gonyleptidae.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, I was looking at the spines, but also the large body size relative to the leg length, and the thick fourth legs. Also, the conspicous palpi that don't look flattened as they are in Cosmetidae.

However, I didn't know about the tarsal segment count. Is it higher with Gonyleptidae?

I was looking at Wikipedia and they mentioned the Gonyleptidae sub-familily Pachylinae, with 400 species. Cosmetidae has over 700, and Gonyleptidae over 800. That's a LOT of species!!! And, they're all new world and mostly in South America, with Cosmetidae having the greatest representation in Central and North America.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do many people keep harvestmen? I'm thinking of the prettier kinds, like these aliens and ones like this or this or this.
If so, are they too delicate to be handled? Where can they be acquired?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have something that looks like that around my home. I always wondered what they were but I never even knew where to start trying to ID them. They are really bizarre little creatures and I usually see them alone.