'Alien Head' Idolomorpha lateralis

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Or at least, that's what Frank Somma thought it might be. Any other opinions? Not sure where they came from. Someone told me Madagascar, someone else thought it was Tanzanian.

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Wooh, very nice looking mantids
I've seen these species been sold right before my eyes on an insectfair here in Belgium (the guy only sold 6 of them, i was just a minute to late!)
Here's a picture of the idolomorpha species from Madagascar, do they look similar?
Picture is from the database of the http://www.terra-typica.ch/insecta/insecta.htm site (great resource for all mantids species!)

greetz

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, i did some research,
IDOLOMORPHA LATERALIS is a species from "Tjaad"
i've found this in an dutch written MANTIS book from "Eugéne Bruis"

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
that is beautiful, i would love one of those! whats their life span? are they easy to breed?

Thanks,

James

P.S- nice pics Bill!

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Alas, I have no info on how easy to breed they are... But I did have moderate mortality rates (within the first 24 hours of receiving the shipment), so it's not exactly the most hardy species (nor are many mantid species).

bill

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Although, I have never had a speices like these, I also have never had much luck with any Mantids. But Im no expert, Are Mantids short lived too begin with? Those Pics are great, Who knows what else is running around out there. Good luck!!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bill, those are pretty cool too! They are a little weird though. In a good way, I mean. heheh...

adios,
edw. :D

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is what I have found about it. It's from the terrarium encyclopedia by eugene bruins.

Idolomorpha lateralis, from Tsjaar, closely related to Empusa. Maybe the breeding things are the same with that genus....

Good luck with em.

Dennis