Alex-type question.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm watching some Animal planet show and they showed a Solifugae running around.

Except they called it (I can't spell it, this is my best attempt:) a galliode (Pronounce it like it's spelled. Galley-Ode)

Is that just the 'common' name for it? or did they just completely butcher it?

(It managed to chase off a cobra though! heh)

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's Galeodes.

That's a genus of solifugid. I think this genus has some of the larger species, like that giant egyptian solifugid that you'll occasionally see being sold.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae: Family: Galeodidae

Hey Valael, yes, they were reffering to the specimen being of the family Galeodidae, which are commonly called Galeodids. Yeah, thats awesome that it chased of a cobra as the Galeodidae do contain the largest species on the planet (Galeodes arabs and Galeodes caspius). Large Galeodid specimens are even capable of preying on baby cobras! :)

Alex S.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It was digging a hole in the ground as a burrow and along came a cobra. One quick bite and the cobra was gone, heh. Neat little things, it's a shame they have such short lives.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae

Yeah, it is too bad they are short lived, its an adaptation. If they lived longer they could shorten the insect and small animal population. Not too many animals mess with solifugids, as they do have the strongest jaw pressure relative to body size of any living thing on the planet :D

Alex S.