Albo on the loose!!!

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As Poonjab said. More substrate is needed. Height to lid should be 1.5 times leg span. Ditch the fake cactus. Abdomen could get punctured.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
[As for the cactus, it isn’t fake lol[/QUOTE]
I do not find that very funny.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I will add more substrate. As for the cactus, it isn’t fake lol
Even more reason to remove it. Sharp/pointy things are no bueno. T. albo is terrestrial, so a fall can be fatal even just landing on the substrate (hence the "1.5xDLS sub-to-lid" 'rule'), let alone landing on a cactus.

Sabrina Herrera

Arachnopeon
[As for the cactus, it isn’t fake lol
I do not find that very funny.[/QUOTE]
Ughh ok?

Even more reason to remove it. Sharp/pointy things are no bueno. T. albo is terrestrial, so a fall can be fatal even just landing on the substrate (hence the "1.5xDLS sub-to-lid" 'rule'), let alone landing on a cactus.
Thank you for the information. Honestly I didn’t think it would hurt it. I suppose that is the reason for groups like this. So people can educate newbs on better ways to help their T’s. So for that I would like to thank you!

Thank you everyone for your help! In the end my cat did find it! Somehow she managed to come downstairs and crawled under my table and into my table cloth. Well all’s well that ends well, safe T and safe kitty!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thank you everyone for your help! In the end my cat did find it! Somehow she managed to come downstairs and crawled under my table and into my table cloth. Well all’s well that ends well, safe T and safe kitty!!! :)
So you found it alive, thanks to the cat? At least that’s how I interpreted that.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I did! My cat Lola was meowing at the table. I went to check thinking maybe a cricket escaped again and instead it was our sweet missing Albo!
Awesome. Glad to hear. Now, I’m sure you probably know this, but just in case, don’t put both of them in the same enclosure. With that said, enjoy your awesome T’s.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I did! My cat Lola was meowing at the table. I went to check thinking maybe a cricket escaped again and instead it was our sweet missing Albo!
Well, what did I tell you? :cool:;)
Very glad to hear you found your missing T. albo. :astonished:

But what will you tell your son why there're suddenly two in the house? :p

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Thank goodness! I’m sorry that your tarantula escaped, but I think it’s cool that it made you stumble upon here and improve its husbandry!

Someone I order spiders on had a sale on T blondi slings, so I ordered one along with a T albo. I was so nervous about rehousing the T blondi, and it was a dream; it was very calm and receptive to me guiding it with a paintbrush. I lost the T albo sling for over 20 minutes, only found it when it reappeared on my table, and it did laps in the catch cup and then its new enclosure. I think everyone suggesting T Albo is playing a prank on us. :p

Feral

Arachnobaron
I, too, am very happy your found the fuzzbutt! Yay!

Please do carefully check your cats and any other free roaming critters. Any of them could easily have taken a cloud of urticating setae to the face, and having the setae lodge in the eyes or respiratory tracks can be medical emergencies for animals.

To be clear, the suggestions you got from others about using a heat source to lure her out was just for that specific purpose, and not an endorsement for using heat mats on T enclosures in general.

In addition to the information youve already been given in this thread and what you can find using the search function, please do also check out the website, podcasts, and/or YouTube channel of Tom Moran of Tom's Big Spiders. He has a ton of great information, including beginner information and content specific to albopilosum. If you didn't know about lids/ containment and the dangers of screen mesh and suitable substrate depth, there may be other gaps in your knowledge and/or husbandry. There's a lot of misinformation out there about spoods, and it's easy to end up following bad advice. Both ArachnoBoards and Tom's Big Spiders are excellent, trustworthy sources of good accurate information.

Again, yay for fuzzbutt homecoming yay! :D