albino N. gordonus?

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've collected a fair number of N. gordonus lately, and found one that appears to be albino. When I first saw it I presumed it had recently molted, so I set it aside. A few weeks later it is still pale yellow-ivory, even the eyes. I know there are albino N. americanus in the hobby, but are there other albinos out there as well?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
breed it, breed it! :)

fwiw i have only seen the Na's in the hobby

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Would love to see a photo comparison...curious to see if it has any distinction from the captive albinos.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll get some pics tonight. It's female and I saved one of the prettier males I found to keep with her. How do the genetics work on albinism in millipedes? Simple recessive or ???

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It is an adult? Young Narceus gordanus can be white till they're a few inches.
Albinism in Narceus americanus is simple recessive so it's likely the same but it will still take a commitment unless you find a male too. Even then it may take a few years to isolate due to sperm storage.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, it is an adult. I hadn't even considered sperm storage. Sounds like it would definitely be a long term project.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, here's a pic of the "albino" with one of her normally colored buddies

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ONG! I have not seen these in years! this is the Peruvian white worm! very rare! they sell for hundreds of $$! haha j/k but very cool!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That one seems to be missing more than just the melanin (albino americanus only lack the melanin so they still have orange and yellow color).