Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Albino C. gracilis

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by John Apple, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Advertisement
    Wow, I don't know how I missed this, but that's amazing. If any babies pop out white, what'd it take to get a couple?

2. John Apple

John Apple Just a guy Old Timer

first born....lol

3. GForce14063

GForce14063 Arachnobaron Old Timer

Now that you have bred them we can see if the trait can be passed down to the offspring. Very cool can't wait for and update on the new offspring.

4. My first born? Deal! :p

5. telow

telow Arachnobaron Old Timer

hahaha its the first ever in history albino invert haha

6. John Apple

well there are some albino millipedes

7. Sick dude...aren't you excited that you're one of the few people to have these rare morphs?

8. telow

yeah i remember those but thats a whole different thing

i would not call these guys albino unless they are taken to a vet or something and checked to see if they are realy albino which is not likely
    i honestly think that they have a loss of pigment and its not realy too unusual
    i have seen these in the past and they had nothing but being no red eyes
    nothing just white like these you have its argueable for sure but i dont think
    they are albino ill get some in spring froma a area i know where they can be found having broods like yours maybe we can compare and see at that time

it is intresting none the less (take care of them)

9. John Bokma

John Bokma Arachnobaron Old Timer

[​IMG]
    White millipede (no idea if it's albino) and a Jerusalem cricket.

Juveniles of Diplocentrus bereai are also very white until they become adult (the one below is about 8 months old)

[​IMG]

10. insect714

insect714 Arachnoknight Old Timer

Thats a GREAT looking Jerusalem Cricket John...I have not found any in years...used to find them all the time growing up in So Cali. Wish I could find them again...

11. John Bokma

John Bokma Arachnobaron Old Timer

12. Harlock

Harlock Arachnosquire

This might be true for several Diplo. I've got an adult lindo and a young one, the young is almost white, while the adult is normal grey-ish.

13. Great to hear they are doing good and gravid John. I dunno if I ever got back to you on what the local Entomologist said but it looked like this :? Said if anyone died save them to be sent out for research and said to tell you very neat.

14. John Apple

Cool thanx Wolf
    They are doing in fact quite well [as gracilis does lol]...the only color change that they may have gone thru is this...adults are yelloy with brown-yellow telson and last two segments as well....all areas between any plate sclerite is WHITE....
    man gotta take a few pics again

15. Yeah you do. I don't even check the scorpion section anymore very often but I spotted this and had to check on those babies. :D

16. Bigboy

Bigboy Arachnoprince Old Timer

What you're seeing is completely normal. It is natural variation that exists in large populations. The reason not many of us see things like this is because the animals that we get from the wild and which later become the foundations of captive stock are usually not selected for this reduction in pigmentation. It wouldn't help a light colored bark scorpion to hide amongst dark leaf litter and bark. It would get eaten and its genes removed from the gene pool of that population. The same would go for dark scorpions on a very light background. They look the way they do because the scorpions that look like the "wild type" we are so used to are the ones that survive, grow up to breed and propagate their genes. But there is always variation in a healthy gene pool that allows for change in a changing environment.

I've seen this same thing in frogs as well. For people saying the siblings aren't "hets" and that this is just a birth defect I'm sad to say that you don't much understand the concepts behind heterozygosity and birth defects. The siblings may very well be heterozygous. However it is impossible to know this without backbreeding them to the mother and father for F1 and F2 generations to see if the mutation reappears.

With that being said, John, I would suggest you take care before selling people your "hets". You don't want to develop a bad reputation here. Start a breedin program for them and keep a good stud book. In a few years you may be very lucky in being able to supply folks with a new proven morph.

Until then folks, lets please not have any more territorial peeing. We're peers here in this community.

And John... please stop using the term albino. It is a very specific term for a very specific genetic mutation. You have no way of proving that what you have are albino. If memory serves you have light color morph C. gracilis, this has come up before and you used to be able to buy them.

17. John Apple

Interesting you say that on the color, I wonder if the same was about the albino N. americanus
    Didn't really see and territorial disputes or fence peeing here just simple conversation
    Here is the breakdown
    wild female collected.gave birth to 20-something sclings...6 were 'albino'
    same female did the same thing and 5 more albino
    female has since died
    three 'albinos' sent to three folk who after some time will tell the tail of the 'mutation'..they are peers in our level of knowledge
    they all theorize that this is s simple recessive trait and the next generation will prove or disprove that
    3 'albino' females and 2 'albino' females are in with all sisters left...7 or eight total.
    personally I would love to see where the light color morph gracilis has come up before...if it was my friend Ritzman...well he collected them with me...from the exact same pile...we know about each other...lol

18. JC

JC Arachnoprince Old Timer

USA
    Glad to see they have kept their color.

19. telow

i have seen the light colored gracilis in florida in port st lucie to be exact
    they would never be able to mature there because of the anoles alone
    they eat everything and anything so thats why you dont see these

20. John Apple

been all over PSL and the anoles are everywhere in the state...the scorps are nocturnal and the anoles are diurnal...so I am having a bit of a hard time saying the anoles are eating them....The scorps I collected on a key down there...I have also collected gracilis in PSL and never seen a light one...but there is another light colored scorp down there that has not got eradicated by anoles lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.