Albino C. gracilis

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have also been doing it for thousands of years with dogs and cattlle. I agree that we should be carefull to produce healthy offspring but it can be done. Plus scorpions and other inverts seem to be more resistant to the negetive effects of inbreeding. A lot of our rarer inverts are the results of breeding siblings because that was all that was available. However I believe the OP has stated elsewwhere that he has collected a few scorpions from the same area. I could be way wrong. Maybe he'll produce a second clutch from a different female.

John
shoot man, we have been doing this for centuries with humans! there are all kinds of hybrid humans and a bunch of messed up diseases and genetic defects as a result. you think our species will ever learn?? HELL NO!!! we are idiots!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ya, haven't seen any pink ones in the hobby lol
if you can breed them, u may be able to make a few extra bucks ;)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
shoot man, we have been doing this for centuries with humans! there are all kinds of hybrid humans and a bunch of messed up diseases and genetic defects as a result. you think our species will ever learn?? HELL NO!!! we are idiots!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I guess we haven't allways had common sence when it comes to breeding anything.;)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Yeah lets start breeding scorpions with genetic defects, that sounds healthy
ppl have been doing that for some time with they snakes and gekkos to get differnt morph colors and stuff but some of these have started to die before they could even grow up or get orther kinds of genetic defects with the morph coloring. So it would be a really bad idea to start this trend in the scorpion hobby as well..
heh heh Hater here ....These guys will be bred and hopefully the end result will be more pink Gracilis....The area we found these is well sheltered and blocked in...so who is to say that this has not happened before in this very area...yeah I am sure it has...I was just lucky enough to get a female that was bred by a male with the same trait..
and if we are being anal here on inbreeding lets look at
homo sapiens
canines
elaphe guttatta guttatta
elaphe obsoleta
albino N americanus
all boas out there...... hold on now.....hold on.....coming.....BALL PYTHONS.....man some people:?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
whatever it may be, that is pretty damn cool john! will be interesting to see if they will breed true. good luck with these man!

-josh
forgot to mention....Josh you will be the first to get some of these and if you want I can send you many of the siblings

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
forgot to mention....Josh you will be the first to get some of these and if you want I can send you many of the siblings
i would love some! and i would breed the HELL out of them! MMMMMMMWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: {D

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
i would love some! and i would breed the HELL out of them! MMMMMMMWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: {D
My sentiments exactly, right down to the last letter and smiley.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
BTW, looking at the eyes, its appears that these scorpions are not albino but rather leucistic. The eyes look blue to me. They are supposed to be pinkish/red/yellow on a true albinos. Anyways this is just my observation at the moment.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
BTW, looking at the eyes, its appears that these scorpions are not albino but rather leucistic. The eyes look blue to me. They are supposed to be pinkish/red/yellow on a true albinos. Anyways this is just my observation at the moment.
yeah I thought that also till I got a small 30X scope to scope out the cluster and it looks dark red to me, they are all fattening and looking ready to shed.
Lotta people say there are no albinos [ya know the chest thumpers] and then there are those that post links somewhat proving otherwise...my thoughts are is that they are definately not 'normal' looking and are a definate cool thing to happen. Also 1/4 of the clutch was this color...could be a random thing or mendels genetics playing out

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Also 1/4 of the clutch was this color...could be a random thing or mendels genetics playing out
Well you defiantly have something. But if you say that the eyes are red and not blue, as I had believed, and there is no other dark pigmented areas, than it just might be albinos. I don't think this is a random occurrence since 25% of the babies have this mutation.

By the way, I'd just thought to let you know, if you don't already, and are wondering how this works. If you already know, I will just explain this for everyone else.

Recessive

In the case that they truly are albinos, the only way you can produce an albinos is if both parents are heterozygous for albino, meaning each parent carries one part of the gene for albinism. When two heterozygous for albino, also called 'het' for albino, animals reproduce, the offspring turnout is 25% albino, 25% completely normal(does not carry any albino gene), and 50% that are 'het' for albino(carry one gene). Albinos are homozygous for albinism, meaning they carry both albino genes. If you were to breed albinos back to the parents you would get a 50% brood of albino scorpions and 50% heterozygous, as opposed to John Apple's now 25% albino. And if you were to breed two albinos together the brood would be turn out to be 100% albino. When you breed an albino to a normals,none of the babies will be albino, but they will all be heterozygous for albinism.

Possible combinations:

Normal-looking gene carrier(heterozygous) X Normal non-carrier = 50% carriers + 50% normal

Normal-looking gene carrier(heterozygous) X Normal-looking gene carrier(heterozygous) = 25% normal + 50% carriers + 25% albino

Normal-looking gene carrier(heterozygous) X Albino(homozygous) = 50% carriers + 50% albinos

Albino(homozygous) X Normal non-carrier = 100% Carriers

Albino(homozygous) X Albino(homozygous) = 100% Albinos

Co-dominant

In the the case that it is a leucistic mutation, it just may be a co-dominant mutation. Sometimes in a co-dominant mutation, you may visually tell apart the mutants from the normals. In this case it may turn out that the lighter colored scorpions carry one of the genes for leucism, and a combination of two 'light colored' scorpions would produce a brood of 25% leucistics, 25% normal and 50% gene carriers that appear lighter colored than normals. In this case John Apple may have noticed a difference the in coloration of the two parents?

Possible combinations:

Co-dominant (heterozygous) X Normal = 50% co-dominant + 50% normal

Co-dominant (heterozygous) X Co-dominant(heterozygous)= 25% normal + 50% co-dominant + 25% leucistic.

Co-dominant(heterozygous) X leucistic(homozygous)= 50% leucistic + 50% co-dominants

leucistic(homozygous) X Normal = 100% co-dominants

leucistic(homozygous) X leucistic(homozygous) = 100% leucistics

Hope this helps

-JC

Edit: Just edited some of my grammar.

Last edited:

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah.. john, when you send me some of those bad boys, i think ill breed the heck out of them... yeah... then, ill infest an area with them.... like arizona, new mexico or texas.... oh man... and then... then, they would breed with the sculpturatus and/ or vittatus and the resulting offspring would be like... crazy gracilis/sculpturatus/vittatus/albino mutants! dude... dude.....DUDE! that would be sick!

imagine if you could breed a scorpion that has an arm and claw for a tail and tails with stingers for claws!!!! the possibilities are endless...{D

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah.. john, when you send me some of those bad boys, i think ill breed the heck out of them... yeah... then, ill infest an area with them.... like arizona, new mexico or texas.... oh man... and then... then, they would breed with the sculpturatus and/ or vittatus and the resulting offspring would be like... crazy gracilis/sculpturatus/vittatus/albino mutants! dude... dude.....DUDE! that would be sick!

imagine if you could breed a scorpion that has an arm and claw for a tail and tails with stingers for claws!!!! the possibilities are endless...{D
Go for the albino, two talied Hadrurus. I bet you could sell them for liike $100 each. ;)

John

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello All,

John good luck with them.
Josh man you are weird!!!!!
Hope to see you in cali sometime soon again.

take care

francisco

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
yeah don't mind the date on the pic...i did not set it on the camera when I changed batteries