Albino C. gracilis

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
here is a pic of some albino gracilis...there are 5 albinos or leucistic and 14 hets

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
no they didn't...this is 4 days after the molt on the back of the mother.
I have another pic of them on Moms back I will post,
There are 5 of them this color, as nymphs or larva they were a bit off color

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i read something on here that they cant really be albino cuz there is technically not pigment or something (take what i say with grain of salt not for sure) that its just maybe a bicolor or something idk try searching for albino scorps and read on one of the post about it

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It was the one about the lighter Pandinus imperator.

And I think they don't have malanin or something.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They definitely look like they molted. Scorpions have no melanin, so albinoism is impossible. Some of the babies my scorps have had take up to a week to darken.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
well they have hardened, they now shine under a blacklight and they shine yellow instead of green or greenish blue...they are eating at this very moment , ten day old crix. They are stlii white-yellow color combination.
Don't know much about the melanin thing but if there are albino millipedes then why not scorps...ya know
Here is a pic on moms back

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whatever gives them more color, they seem to have less of it for sure! ...looks like it to me anyway. My bet is that they will always be less dark than the others. I'd try to keep messing around with breeding the lighter ones later if they make it. That's awesome, hope they keep molting! I had a very light baby emp out of a brood. Four of them got out and the light colored one was one of those:mad:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
yup here is hoping..they act just like the 'colored' ones and are fast as heck when disturbed.
The mother of course looks like any other gracilis from this local

Memento

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're not albinos. When breeding C. gracilis, you'll occasionally get a pale mutation. Unfortunately, it's random, and doesn't appear to carry through in line breeding, so you don't even have "hets". It's more like a harmless birth defect than a genetic trait.

My grandfather kept a generational colony of about 50 C. gracilis for nearly 30 years, and every generation there would be a few pale ones like those in your pics. It's just random defect. Other breeders I've known with large colonies have reported the same thing.

"Albino" scorpions (and other arthropods) do exist, but are exceedingly rare. We studied one - the only one I've ever seen or heard of - at the entomology labs where I did a school co-op years ago. In the case of scorpions, "albino" refers to a complete lack of any pigmentation, and they also lack eyes (in a species where both pigment and eyes would normally be present) based on the few specimens science has encountered.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, not albinos, other than that, I see what you say as "probability", but we don't know for sure. Did your grandfather breed the light colored ones with each other? If you say "yes", everybody here must see proof since we don't really know each other. I know, it's frustrating, I've been there but it's normal, most of us really don't know the other. I used to get very frustrated, but that's ego, we need to show proof of claims to convince people with pics or vid here.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
I of course plan on breeding the... heh... 'leucistic albinos' to each other and see what happens also the 'het' siblings. The darkest features on these guys are the eye cluster and it appears to be red.
I will take another pic with a better camera to show this, saying these guys are pale is an understatement when I look at them. of course I am open to opinions and we all have one;)
that also makes me wonder ...are the N.A.'s out there albinos or random acts of God that we somehow in our infinite wisdom [ ya know the 'random' breeding acts] got one over on the allmighty one

Memento

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, not albinos, other than that, I see what you say as "probability", but we don't know for sure. Did your grandfather breed the light colored ones with each other? If you say "yes", everybody here must see proof since we don't really know each other. I know, it's frustrating, I've been there but it's normal, most of us really don't know the other. I used to get very frustrated, but that's ego, we need to show proof of claims to convince people with pics or vid here.
Well, the colony wasn't mine, and my grandfather died 8 years ago, so visual records aren't something I'll be able to provide without a séance to find out if he even kept any ;)

It's fairly easy to prove if you have an albino or not - send a specimen to a research lab and have them confirm it. Scorpion albinism is so rare that visual records on a forum are sort of useless anyway, as the number of people who would recognize a true albino for what it is is minuscule. You need it substantiated by someone with concrete knowledge in the field - everything else is just popular opinion and guesswork. I admit that my claim that they are not albinos is also just an educated guess, based on the species, my previous experience, and that you have multiples in a brood when scorpion albinism is so rare.

If you suspect you have albinos, definitely find a researcher who can confirm it for you 100%. Not only would they be of scientific interest, but they'd also boost your profit margin if you decided to sell them :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree too, that they aren't albinos. I was only questioning whether the light color trait is genetic or not and it doesn't sound like anybody has tried to breed the light colored ones together to see. That'd be interesting to try it. I'm still PO'd that I lost my light emp, I was going to mess with breeding it.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
just an update...they are eating well and are now a pink color...as far as darkening up I think it will go no farther...also thanx for the melanin links