Albino axolotl

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just picked up the cutest little albino axolotl, it joins my larger, normal color axolotl.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aww! What a cutie! How big is it? I have a white one too. I'm going to get him a buddy soon, maybe a natural colored one.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He's about three inches long, give or take. The normal color variation is about twice that size. I was worried they might fight, or bother each other, but aside from the little one thinking the big one's gills were something to snack on once, they mostly ignore each other.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Their are quite marvellouse... am i right in saying that they are feather external gills right?:?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine has rather stumpy gills but I was told that's a normal genetic variation. This is Jaimie. He's about 9".

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am doomed. :embarrassed:

STOP posting cute critter pics!!!! Stop it!! I've been researching these axolotls for days now... ever since the OP's first post. I already know which tank it will fit in. STOPPPPP!!! {D

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like the melanoids and the white albinos the most. The other albinos look "non albino" to me... I dunno. I just think the ruby red gills contrasted against the two preferred colors look awesome! :D

They are all amazing, though!

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I put black sand and a black background in my tank so my axie would stand out more :)
They really have a lot of personality. Mine gets excited when I walk up to the tank and he eats from my fingers. A few weeks ago I put some feeder guppies in there and he spent all weekend hunting them. It was pretty fun to watch.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what so the gils are not feathers.....i thought these things were just evoloved birds......... well you learn a new things every day eh {D ;) ;)

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what so the gils are not feathers.....i thought these things were just evoloved birds......... well you learn a new things every day eh {D ;) ;)
Close, but completely backwards. Birds evolved from reptiles. And reptiles evolved from amphibians (like the axolotl).

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I put black sand and a black background in my tank so my axie would stand out more :)
They really have a lot of personality. Mine gets excited when I walk up to the tank and he eats from my fingers. A few weeks ago I put some feeder guppies in there and he spent all weekend hunting them. It was pretty fun to watch.
You are not helping my dilemna here... not in the least! {D As soon as I get my little Gargoyle addition all settled in, I'm going to start looking for a couple of these babies. They are just too darn cute! They look "all dressed up" for some 'Faire or Parade'... with the 'frilly nilly' gills all around their heads. And now, you've gone and told me that they are friendly and will eat out of your hand :p Almost everyone in my house (and there are LOTS) eats from my hand, sits on my lap... chest... shoulder... head, rests in my hand when I put it in the tank, etc. etc. I always... ALWAYS... have a "baby" keeping me busy somehow. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping some of the higher end LFS will have them in stock in a week or so, but right now... I'm going to check out AB just in case. *aquabid.com

Thanks for corrupting me once again... :D

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, darn it! Thanks..... I guess. {D That's pretty close... I could just drive and pick them up. Hah! Tomorrow, even. And they have the colors that I like... kind of. I really want a white albino, but "just white" will suffice. :embarrassed:

...and they have frogs like my baby, Yahya the Bullfrog! Great!

See what you've done... {D

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks! I checked there first, actually. Everyone that has available stuff is in the UK or further and/or don't ship. I found them available at Indiana Axolotl and Niles, too. I'm going to check one of the LFS and see if they ever get them in... it's a pretty "high end, specialty" store, so they might. I don't expect to find it in the average fish/pet store, though.

I just love how everyone here is a "great Enabler" {D