Akitas aren't dogs

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I somehow got connected with a couple who acquired a young akita a few days ago. The precise communication to me was first, how does one put a dog down and second, could I assist in getting the animal put down or maybe take the dog off their hands.

I knew 1 akita and have known several others. I have some understanding of their mentality. But nothing prepared me for 'Sadie'. About 5 months old, 60 lbs, untrained, and pure primal akita. Roughly, right at half way between a cougar and an aloof Alsatian.

Sadie started off her new life on a chain in their front yard. A few hours later the yard was a blood bath with Sadie finishing off (eating) the remains of a stray dog. The couple were completely terrified.

I went over to interview Sadie. She accepted my presence in the normal akita way: tolerate. Not really accept. I was a thing. A competitive carnivore. After a few minutes I took the chain off her as she was obviously offended by it. In essence, human saying to animal, 'we own you' and animal thinking 'I own me. you are just controlling me'. Without the chain she selected a secluded place in the garden and lay down. I observed and just tried to empathize. Her attitude was, again, obvious: 'This is bull. I hate the world. Leave me alone. I'll happily fend for myself'.

I talked to Sadie the same as gentling a horse. Pretty much just making noise as I expressed unsaid sentiments: I understand. I respect you. Can we establish a rapport?

He mannerisms were very similar to that of a wolf but more sedate. Extremely alert, out of her territory and very aware of that and the vulnerability that came with it. Really, just like an antisocial cat that is fully aware it has a lot of weight it can throw around and just wants her space.

I spent about 7 hours working on the rapport. Just sitting near her. Walking around occasionally. Except for bathroom breaks and a drink of water, she just lay in her chosen space alertly regarding her new situation and disliking everything about it. At the end of the day I got up and said goodbye. She turned her head to stare at me. She had accepted me a little bit.

I informed her owners to put out food and water, don't try to approach her and certainly don't try to chain or exert any control of her. They were afraid and skeptical but did as instructed. Sadie spent the night in her corner of the yard. She wasn't even comfortable enough to roam.

The next day I repeated the scenario. Sadie heard my jeep pull up and was staring at where I would enter the yard. I went over and took my usual place a few feet away from her. She had turned her head away and didn't regard me further. I was accepted and thus became what the primal akita thinks of all humans: a non entity. Live and let live and don't get in each others faces. There was no further progress. In fact, that rapport is about as much as one can expect from an akita. Unless subjugated by very extensive training or breeding one co-exists with them and nothing more.

Her owners saw what I was doing and had watched carefully. At the end of the second day I explained Sadie to them. What rapport I had established was about as good as it will get. I'm not an oppressor or competitor and we can co-exist. Sadie was not and never would be a pet. She may become more amiable but she would never become a companion. Once she has her space and coexisted long enough around people who don't get up in her face she will learn to treat all humans as things other. Non threats... up to a point. If they thought they could handle her then what I did was what they would have to do and continue doing without lapse until she regards all humans in that light. She had to be treated just like they had rented a room to a moody stranger. You live together by mostly avoiding each other and being carefully respectful when you meet.

Would she become playful? She may have playful moments but they would be entirely of her own choosing. She has her own life, her own way of thinking and her own viewpoints on things. One of which she had already demonstrated: Other animals are considered lesser beings and occasionally food.
Is she dangerous? As dangerous as your average mellowed out bobcat or cougar, but a little higher up on the rational thinking scale. If she bites it is going to mean a trip to the emergency room. She will go as gung ho as a cat or wolf. But she's smart enough to not consider humans edible and the bite will only be a very brutal nasty warning to get out of her face.
What should they feed her? Whatever she wants. Trial and error and give her a wide range of choices. But yes, she will be quite happy to eat raw meat or even kill her own. Giving her a live chicken or two once a week would probably make her quite happy. And yes, she will eat the entire animal including the bones.

I then bit the bullet and laid out their 4 choices. 1. Put her down or return her. Get her out of their lives. 2. Attempt to subjugate her. With animals of her disposition more likely than not there will be a bad news altercation and she will end up being put down anyway. 3. Learn to live with her. Once settled and accepting she will demonstrate more personality than any 10 other dogs. 4. (Gasp) I would be willing to take her off their hands (dog you take this akita to have and to hold, to love and cherish until she or you die of old age or the plague?)

They contacted me two days later. Sadie had taken over the front porch. They asked her to move so they could get the door open and she understood and obliged. That evening Sadie was in the same place on the porch and moved without being asked, then returned to her station.
"We're going to keep her. No, she's going to keep us. Wish us luck."
Thank you for sharing this story with all of us. I hope everyone reads it. I respect the fact you had the courage to do what you did. If you never took that risk I have a good idea the fate of that dog. I've seen this many times in the past and most end the same way, sad.

American Akita is a much more powerful, intelligent and never back down from any challenge dog than what most people know and understand.

If people would spend the time researching and understanding requirements for whatever animal they plan on having beforehand and devote themselves maybe all the animal shelters across the country wouldn't be full from coast to coast. Maybe all the animal control centers wouldn't have the sheer amount of dogs to have to be put down.

It's a dream I know but I can only wish.

There is a reason why the Japanese revere the Akita as the most loyal companion.
Hachikō being the most famous Akita even a statue was erected of him. I provided the link for anyone who does not know his story or those that would just like to read it again.

Here is his story, enjoy:

Last edited: