Airborne Express

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I was expecting a male A. geniculata courtesy of Ultimate Instar today. She sent it Airborne Express overnight. I was supposed to get it today by noon. Well, they screwed something up, so now I won't get it untill tomorrow.

So a couple of questions:

1. Are tarantulas approved to be shipped by airborne -- meaning that is it alright to complain to Airborne that they are messing around with the life of a spider? Because since their overnight is "guaranteed", mayber Ultimate Instar could get her money back from the shipping.

2. How worried should I/Ultimate Instar be about the geniculata?

3. Anything else?

Jon

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Jon,
I ship with airborne. according to there policy your not suposed
to ship live animals.
But the ladies at the station know what i'm shipping.
They call me "the bug guy".
Your spider will most likely be alive when it gets there, and
If the lable on the package is filled out right.you should get a refund.I don't think they will cover the price of the spider if it dies.

Bryan

Last edited:

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I wouldn't go around singing to the hills that there was a spider in that box :p

As Cronoss said, Airborne is technically not supposed to ship live animals (most shipping companies have this policy). However, it doesn't matter what's in the box--If the shipper paid for Next-Day delivery and the package arrived late, the cost of shipping should be returned, no questions asked.

As for the spider, he should be OK, as long as the weather is not totally screwy (ie: over 90 degrees, or below 30, for example). I've had similar things happen with delayed packages, etc, and have honestly never had a problem with anything that arrived a day or two late.

Hope he's OK :)

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The fact is that they guaranteed overnite shipping, doesn't matter if anything alive in there or not.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
the main question is this - does the seller you bought the spider from guarantee live delivery if you use Airborne Express.

i bought 2 slings from swifts that i should receive today by noon also. now, even though airborne express guarantees delivery, swifts says on the site that if you use that form of delivery, they guarantee live.

so, check with your retailer.

i honestly hope very much that your little guy arrives safe and sound. :)

oh, btw, you have some beautiful spiders, i LOVE striker! gorgeous.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my boyfriend works for AIrborne Express

which doesnt matter by the way, because BOTH times I ordered from Swift's my t's didnt get here until...well, in the middle of winter, it was on the MONDAY after spending the weekend in a cold warehouse, and the second time, they were just a day late.

My t's were alive both times. Thanks to the packaging of them, not to AIrborne.

ANyhow, there are political things happening with AIrborne right now, and I wouldnt trust their 'guarantee' at this time.The company was bought out by another company and contracts are up in the air. I don't mean that they wont refund the shipping money, but I do mean that they may NOT get the packages there on time.

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
argh, noooo! don't tell me things like that, i'll go paranoid and crazy moreso than i already am. :/

i have some friends visiting and all of us had hoped SO much that i'd have the little slings today. alas.

well, we'll see i guess. i'd better start praying to Arachne. :D

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Swift guarantees LIVE.

Airborne at this time, who knows? they just reimburse the sender the shipping money.
But, Swift will replace a T that dies during shipping, He is a great guy. I just felt so bad for the little Ts in the cold over the weekend. TWICE they did it to me. UGH!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
gods, i hate to say this, but that just horrifies me. :( the thought of my little babies dying in the cold in some box in some room somewhere...that's awful!!!

...twice huh? wow. nothing against swifts but if anyone else that has good prices doesn't use airborne express, i might start purchasing from them.

nothing against kelly whatsoever, but i HATE it when any animals dies. a little part of me dies with them.

(praying hard)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
the great Goddess Arachne has heard my prayers!

as of 8:30am my little ones were in norcross, ga and as of 9am they are out for delivery.

WHEW. my relief is pedipalpable. :D

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ahhhhh, I would trust Kelly.

He WILL use a different carrier if you want him to. He is really good. Did you read his reviews?

AND he told me that of all the Ts he sends out, the statistics are in Airborne's favor. I just drew the short straw, I guess.

Kelly Swift is worth the airborne risk, in my opinion.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of my orders have come from Swifts. I have NEVER had a problem. Furthermore, I ALWAYS get the "cheap" delivery method -- aka 2 or 3 day mail. Again, NEVER a problem.

Also, the tarantula that is in transit right now is being given to me to breed with my female, with the expectation that if breeding is successful, that I give said doner half of the offspring. I did not pay for the spider. And as far as I know, the spider is fine.

Jon

Again, if there has been problems, it is with the carriers not the senders. Swifty is a consummate professional!

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ahhhhhhh, Bryan..the show is TOMORROW..

Originally posted by Cronoss
Hi Jon,
I ship with airborne. according to there policy your not suposed
to ship live animals.
But the ladies at the station know what i'm shipping.
They call me "the bug guy".
Your spider will most likely be alive when it gets there, and
If the lable on the package is filled out right.you should get a refund.I don't think they will cover the price of the spider if it dies.

Bryan
I am about to venture to your site and see what I am getting.
I already have the container ready...oh the excitement...I feel like a kid being turned free in the toystore....

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
one more thing...IMPORTANT though.

Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Most of my orders have come from Swifts. I have NEVER had a problem. Furthermore, I ALWAYS get the "cheap" delivery method -- aka 2 or 3 day mail. Again, NEVER a problem.

Also, the tarantula that is in transit right now is being given to me to breed with my female, with the expectation that if breeding is successful, that I give said doner half of the offspring. I did not pay for the spider. And as far as I know, the spider is fine.

Jon

Again, if there has been problems, it is with the carriers not the senders. Swifty is a consummate professional!

My T's that were not delivered that spent the weekend in the warehouse ONLY survived, I just know it, because of the FABULOUS packing job that Kelly does. He has them so secure in there and I thought "THERE IS NO WAY that lil b. smithi is going to survive a weekend of 15 degree temps." But it did. Swifts could NOT improve his packaging, it is perfect.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Actaully, they allow 'non-venomous insects' as well as turtles, and a few other things. (per the lady I just got off the phone with)

Airborne screwed up my shipment today too.. I called and 'I have no information as to why your package did not arrive'

Yay.

Bill

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well I know why....

check your pm, I don't want to get nailed with slander or something else outrageous.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly

Your a brave man Jon, I've had major problems with the "great" USPS. I won't ship or be shipped via priority mail ever agian.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i got my slings today before noon in perfect condition. my worries are gone - whew. :)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Can't blame the seller

The freight carrier is paid to do their duty. Best you can do is communicate with Swift's and make your own choice not to use Airborne. There may be some hang-up in the route that Airborne packages take from Swift's that make this occur often.

Dario