Air filter for tarantula room

shelpen

Arachnosquire
I have noticed that I spend less and less time in my T-room, which they (25 in all) share with a bearded dragon and 2 ball pythons...

Today I got a definitive answer as to why. I was in the room for 15 min, didn't touch anything, just looked around and sat in a chair. The itch and hives started as soon as I left the room... Even on the back of my neck! And it was covered by long hair...
So I recon the hairs are not only in their enclosures but also in the air and on the furnishings.
Will a room air filter help my problem?
If so can you recommend a model?

THANKS!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's the first time I hear something like that, man. Flying urticating hairs in the room, moving with air flows? o_O

During the last 25 years, aside for 'Baboons' which I jumped into 3 years ago, my T's always were the NW intermediate ones (with a couple of, mostly for free, Asians) die hard kickers and nothing like that happened, uh.
Only, and not always btw, when performing routine maintenance in the enclosure I had (still have, thanks to my 0.1 M.robustum) hairs as memento on my hand, but not in the whole room or else :-s

It's not that maybe, you are, let's say, very but very sensitive to those? I've heard incredible things about T's urticating setae during years. In general the most wanted badass culprit are always genus Theraphosa ones, but other NW genus can be annoying as well.

Fleas

Arachnopeon
This has been in my paranoia mind for awhile. i have 30+ nw T's half are in critter keepers and all are in my bedroom :eek:. i have not experience any itching yet but as they say it gets worse with time.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
It's not that maybe, you are, let's say, very but very sensitive to those?
I also did noticed that I became increasingly more sensitive over just a few years... To the point of considering buying a biohazard suit to work with the Ts...
The worst offenders are Nhandu and Geniculata genuses...

but as they say it gets worse with time
Absolutely!!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I also did noticed that I became increasingly more sensitive over just a few years... To the point of considering buying a biohazard suit to work with the Ts...
The worst offenders are Nhandu and Geniculata genuses...
I see. So I think this is the main issue. You are reaching/have reached a very high level of unpleasant reaction to those setae.

I'm sorry but I can't help... because I have in all honesty no clue about air filters and similar; I remember in early 2000 that my Dad has a couple of (quite priced) anti cigarettes smoke air filters devices in the ceiling, they worked... but maintenance was a pain and the sound those made a bit annoying.

One thing should turn into OW's, since at least those do not kick or to try to I.D who, among those NW T's you have, are the worst and trade/sell those as extrema ratio.

I know it's not exactly the best to hear such advice, uh... no offence.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
It might work, but if you're this sensitive, I'm not sure it's going to work well enough to make a difference. And urticating hairs just seem like a very unlikely culprit here. Your enclosures should not be so well-ventilated that urticating hairs are able to float out of them and circulate around in the room. You didn't open any lids, touch any molts, etc.?

Is it possible there is something else in there you are allergic to? Something in substrate, something in the beardie tank?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Will a room air filter help my problem?
If so can you recommend a model?

THANKS!
This is not uncommon. I sit at my computer, and sometimes I leave with a few "blisters" as a result (comp's in same room as Ts- right next to my NWs)

Ideally you'd want a filter that can filter out setae based on their size or if their charge was known that MAY work.

I've always thought of putting mesh over the ventilation of my NWs that would prevent setae from escaping.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
If u r that sensitive, u should probably get ow only. I have two stirmi and an lp, which r about as bad as it can be. I poke around their enclosures and don't seem bothered in the least by their hairs. I got haired e handing my big stirmi, but that was the only time I've had even an itch. it's like being allergic to a dog and getting a bunch of them