AIDS/HIV/TICS- Big Bend Trip

SalS

Arachnopeon
I hate to be the one that spoils everyones dreams, BUT Texas just past a new law, HB 12, making hunting collecting on the roads and roadsides ILLEGAL (both reptiles & inverts).

Here is a quote from the Houston Chronicle article on the new laws:

"A provision of HB 12 will prohibit this practice [hunting on public roads] by making it illegal to hunt "a wild animal or bird when the person is on a public road or right-of-way.""

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/outdoors/tompkins/4907338.html

Check out some of the fourms (Laws & Grey Banded Kingsnakes) on www.kingsnake.com for more info... This is devestating- It has single handedly DESTROYED snake & invert hunting in Texas. IT IS BEING ENFORCED OUT WEST...

Be careful y'all.
From what I've heard about this ridiculous law is they will not be enforcing in for Invert collectors. Some herpers were claiming they were just looking for inverts and TPW changed the definition of animal to include inverts, but later recanted and said they would not enforce the invert part.

The rattlesnake roundup collect less than one percent of their snakes from roads. This information came directly from a man who runs it every year. The collecting from roads has virtually no impact on the total population. Think about all the private lands in Texas where we cannot collect. The word out of Hilderbran's office is it was more of a safety issue. Which makes me wonder why is TPW concerned with highway saftey? Isn't that DPS's area.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Which makes me wonder why is TPW concerned with highway saftey? Isn't that DPS's area.

If were going to have the law, let TPW enforce it. Ive found them to be a lot more reasonable than DPS. Besides, if Im going to have to pay a fine, Id rather TPW have the money.

Of course, no law would be the best thing. As we all know, Hildebrans a complete idiot.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would love to go..but just came from out there!
good luck, all, and be careful.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Change of plans! My mom said she'd drive me! So it looks like I will be making it this year :)