Ahphonopelma smithi???

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I received this e-mail today after questioning Mr. Vernier about an "Aphonopelma smithi" on his price list. Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing?????

"Take a look at the World Spider catalog at http://www.tarantulas.ru/klas/kp_orig.htm_.
_
You will find that both species of Aphonopelma, eutylenum and smithi, were described by Smith in 1995 on different pages
of the same paper. This means they are distinct species.
_
As to common names, the same common often gets attached to more than one tarantula. For that reason and others, the
scientific name is always preferable and the common almost immaterial. We still list the common because we know that many
of our clients still depend upon them but there's not much we can do about preexisting apparent contradictions between names
we did not create other than to emphasize the utility of the scientific one.
_
A. eutylenum and A. smithi are different species regardless of which common name is used.
_

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi
I was looking at e-spiderworld.com and they have both Aphonopelma eutylenum and Aphonopelma schmidti listed. I wonder if "smithi" and "schmidti" refer to the same thing. There's pictures of both of them at
http://www.e-spiderworld.com/
Tamara

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ahhhhhhh, I bet THAT'S it!!!:? I never even thought of that!

THANK YOU!!!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Cool! Well, AGAIN I have learned something!:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've also heard of A.smithi...
i believe i read an article that i found off of a link from this forum..

peace
dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
But have you ever heard of a Massproductus plasticum ?!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
=D

By the way, i was just getting ready to let you know that I got a nice big black Tarantula (from you!) sitting in the dashboard of my car, basking in the sun...

i *believe* i got a male... its HUGE though!!! really a beautiful species.. its funny, i've found that species in a bunch of stores around this area... i wonder.... its easily around 7" (would you say)...

anyways the Tarantula is looking kind of rubbery, so possibly maybe i should move it out of the sun. I mean, i know tarantulas love the sun... it hasn't had any water in a long time...

it hasn't eaten anything, and it looks pretty odd...

;) :)

thanks for the T!

peace
dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, you have a very detailed caresheet... I'm sure you will care for it properly!:D
(Hope I made you laugh!)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh man, i was waiting for someone to be all "um, dude, T's can't be in sunlight... what the hell are you doing??!!"

:)

thanks again! You always make me laugh :)

pce
dave

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mean, i know tarantulas love the sun... it hasn't had any water in a long time...
Your joking right? in the dashboard of your car basking in the sun? This is not a creature that sits on a rock all day out in the sun...just the opposite. They are truely noctornal. I have grown up around Tarantulas all my life and rarely will you see one out in the sun. Will not live long in direct sunlight depending on the heat.

Dean

http://www.tarantulastop.com

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
oh man, i was waiting for someone to be all "um, dude, T's can't be in sunlight... what the hell are you doing??!!"

dave
and there you go Dave ;)

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah and there i go. lol

yikes, It must be a joke or we're at a reptile forum and I'm at the wrong place...LOL

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
So sorry, I'll post the species that Dave is referring to (on the dashboard of his car) tomorrow. I don't have it with me right now, and I don't want to retype it!

But, it will be just fine on his dashboard... trust me.....;)

Dave, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. If you don't share a laugh, it's just a waste of air. I guess I'll have to let the T out of the bag and share our little secret species!!!

Tune in tomorrow to....ARACHNOPETS.COM!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah no, no point sharing it just yet.. we still have so much research to do with the T, no point releasing this wonderful species into the public just yet, right? ;)

But seriously, i thought people would really read what MizM wrote as

"MASSPRODUCTUM PLASTICUM"

here's a hint: you tell me what real T's you know by that name.. and work with it.. play around with it.. eventually you'll get it :)

just good ole sarcastic me!
peace
dave

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Research good, yes research! Have you tried the back-of-the-toilet-seat habitat yet?!