ahhhh!!

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just got me a baby little emilia yesterday got it ihn some exo terra, and this morning i go to show it to my mom, lift up it's hide, and he's on his back!!
I hope he's just molting!!
Should I just mist him a little?
I've never had a T molt on meee :p

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It probably is molting. Leave it alone & calm down. The more you freak out & mess with it, the more likely you are to harm it.

How big is the tarantula? I didn't think they got very large & haven't seen any tiny exos.

Hanes

Arachnosquire
Yeah it's just molting, do not disturb and if you want to mist the opposite side of the container

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
leave it alone, no misting is necessary. Swipe the molt from it once it's clear and sex it.

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you :) i was just so surprised It hadn't even been in it's home for 24 hours!
it's about 1 1/2 inch

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats a bit big for it. But leave it alone now for few days to harden up first and that it comes to itself first.

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
should i put it in soemthing smaller or put more substrate?
also, i saw these little fly looking things flying around in there, is that a concern?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's better then what I was thinking it might have been :) I was thinking more like one of their setups with a door on the front, that would have been massive for a tiny sling :)

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's better then what I was thinking it might have been :) I was thinking more like one of their setups with a door on the front, that would have been massive for a tiny sling :)
oh man I'd be way too worried about it climbing up the sides and then falling and hurting it's tookus!!!
I've kept a few wild caught T's in this particular kk I've never seen them climb up it :)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
That's not too horrible size wise, a little big, but not too bad. Definately though, once it has hardened up, you want to add more substrate to keep it safe, if it climbs and falls. Double the amount of substrate you have in there, but as already said, give it to time to harden up after the molt.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
should i put it in soemthing smaller or put more substrate?
also, i saw these little fly looking things flying around in there, is that a concern?
Leave it alone 4-5 days after the molt, then raise its substrate a bit. We have some unwritten rule that hight of the terrestrial enclosure should be 1.5 of size of the spider's legspan.

About those flies... Can you describe them better? What they look like? How humid your substrate is?

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
theyre really really tiny and are kinda green.
The substrate was is a little wetter than usual it didn't dry out as much as i thought it did

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep it out of the sun.. it's like 1/4 already in the sun and if it's molting it may have complications from the extra heat..

Give it a quiet, dark place.

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wooo he's just finished :)
the moult came out in one piece, i replaced it's hide lowered the blinds and replaced my black out curtains :)
im so happppypyyyy