Agriope aurantia

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My little brother caught an agriope spider, yesterday. i'm big into Ts, but i know very little about true spiders. i know it is an adult female, but i had a few questions:

what do they eat?
What's their lifespan?
How aggressive r they?
what is the potency of their venom?

also, i've heard that they shoot venom. is that true? and is their common name the "banana spider", or is taht a diff one?

thx in adv!!! :)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My little brother caught an agriope spider, yesterday.
it's "argiope", arrrr-GUY-oh-pee

i know it is an adult female...
how do you know it is an adult?

what do they eat?
you can feed them the same thing as T's.

What's their lifespan?
one or two years? not long. ADW says it can be much longer in captivity.

How aggressive r they?
i only have an A. argentata, but she is -very- skittish. try poking yours...

what is the potency of their venom?
not bad.

also, i've heard that they shoot venom. is that true?
where did you hear that?

and is their common name the "banana spider", or is taht a diff one?
"banana spider" can be Nephila spp. for the way they look or for Phoneutria spp. for occasionally stowing away in bananas. a few websites call A. aurantia banana spiders, but i think if a common name can be wrong, that is.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am pretty sure it's abult, because the sbdomen is around an inch and a half, and the legspan is about 3. i might be mistaken. like i said, i know very little about true spiders.

i heard that they shoot venom by my grandfather. he told me he was actually a victim of it. he said taht if it gets in your eyes, it will blind you for a half hr, or so. he's not really the joking type, but i thought maybe it was a diff type of spider.

also, what IS the common name, if it has one. i don't think my 7-yr-old brother can remember argiope spider. lol.

Thx, btw!

Last edited:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if the abdomen is half the spider... that is really, really fat.
1.5" body length is so big i'd guess it's probably an adult.

orb weavers don't shoot venom. maybe you're thinking of spitting spiders (Scytodidae)?

black and yellow garden spider
black and yellow argiope
american garden spider
writer spider
yellow garden spider
yellow garden orb weaver
yellow argiope
golden garden spider
scribbler :)? )

a lot of this stuff you can find with google...

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How about a picture. IDs are always a little easier that way. :)

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, my camera is kinda dead... lol. i'll try and get my sister's cam, but teh spider is actually in an old KK, so you can't really c it. i would just take the top off, but that'd destroy the web. is taht a big deal?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, my camera is kinda dead... lol. i'll try and get my sister's cam, but teh spider is actually in an old KK, so you can't really c it. i would just take the top off, but that'd destroy the web. is taht a big deal?
A 3-inch argiope should -not- be in a KK. My 2-inch needs over a square foot.
I can't imagine it has a very good orb in a KK, so it wouldn't be a big deal... but A. aurantia is so distinctive you don't need pics. Just google it.

if that's not it, try Nephila clavipes

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh, no.. it's in a kk that looks likea 10 gal cut in half horizontally. it's got plenty of space.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, no.. it's in a kk that looks likea 10 gal cut in half horizontally. it's got plenty of space.
Ohh, sorry! :worship:

all the kk's I've seen are pretty small.

I hope this one is on its side? :)

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i can't. there are vents in teh sides, and i have the water bowl, and some dirt ad stull. she's already got a web parallel to the ground. she seems pretty content. i guess...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i can't. there are vents in teh sides, and i have the water bowl, and some dirt ad stull. she's already got a web parallel to the ground. she seems pretty content. i guess...
if you can manage, i would recommend taking out the substrate and water dish and turning it perpendicular to the ground.

i've never heard of a horizontal orb web... that's crazy.