"agressive" t's?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've heard that h. lividum is supposed to be extremely defensive...i have one that i've only seen in a threat pose once and that was when my mom 'poked' her for a while...my lividum is docile and not too shy...am i lucky or are those who have aggressive T's just doing something wrong? i also have a friend who handles his P. irminia and p. regalis with no problem..we were starting to wonder if people with 'aggressive' T's are just doing something different? my obt also is not defensive, though i've only had her a few months..but the lady i bought her from said she'd never seen a threat pose from her.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is more insane than any baboon spider I own, fast and unpredictable, rehousing her the other day was a nightmare.. she climbed 2 sets of tongs each time I had to get the other to pick it out, she will fall on her back venom dripping, then one movement and she bolts right up the tank walls and escapes climbing the wall.. I then reach for a large deli tub and capture her.

She was so much easier to capture when loose, because the tank restricted my hand, shes around 5''

The only defensive T that brings the cold sweats in me.

I own these defensive/fast T's

Poceilothera Metallica (too small to see the temp, but shes fast)
Hysterocrates Gigas
Pelinobius Muticus
Pterinochilus Chordatus
Chilobrachys guanxiensis
Lampropelma Violicepes (My brothers but I have rehoused her, calm and gentle if a little skittish)
OBT (fast but easily rehoused)

and 3 giant pedes, 5'',6'' and 8.5''

Nothing compares to this individual, i'm not kidding.. two incidents of escape now.

So to answer your question it is probably your individual, one movement around this one and shes biting the air, the gentle touching of the back tibia doesn't ease her forward like my King Baboon it makes her turn as quickly as possible, grab and attempt to bite the forceps.. then when that doesn't work she climbs them to get to whatever she can bite.

I have experience with defensive T's and I can tell you now if someone is telling you their individual is "aggressive" they are probably not lying, here is a video of me handling my 7'' cameroon red to prove to you i'm not just making this up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjEl82Thd4

Last edited:

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Don't usethe word aggressive. That's a big no no u mean defense trust me u will get some heat for that here on the boards lol

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't usethe word aggressive. That's a big no no u mean defense trust me u will get some heat for that here on the boards lol
Do you examine what you read?
He has the title surrounded with " marks to indicate a quotation.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

i've heard that h. lividum is supposed to be extremely defensive...i have one that i've only seen in a threat pose once and that was when my mom 'poked' her for a while...my lividum is docile and not too shy...am i lucky or are those who have aggressive T's just doing something wrong? i also have a friend who handles his P. irminia and p. regalis with no problem..we were starting to wonder if people with 'aggressive' T's are just doing something different? my obt also is not defensive, though i've only had her a few months..but the lady i bought her from said she'd never seen a threat pose from her.
I will call this into question though, you say your mom poked her... explain how anyone could be doing anything "different" with their T's to ellicit a defensive response.

Lor&Chris

Arachnopeon
I find many Ts differ. I've seen an E Murinus on vids before that are quite docile, but ours is a total bitch and doesn't hesitate to strike.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you examine what you read?
He has the title surrounded with " marks to indicate a quotation.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

I will call this into question though, you say your mom poked her... explain how anyone could be doing anything "different" with their T's to ellicit a defensive response.
i mean when people say they go into a threat pose if you open the tank, or bump it..or start refilling the waterbowl\removing dead prey. when my mom "poked" her she was adjusting to her new tank and was sitting on the side...she poked her and made her fall them poked her with a pencil..[to my horror of course]

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
my h. Minax is the one i dread rehousing. Never in my life did i imagine a t to be so violent. There is never any coaxing with her, it just never ever works. I use a stretched out coat hanger with masking tape wrapped round both ends like a giant q tip. I had to literally put the end next to her, wait for her to grab it with her fangs, and pull her out steadily that way. She would still be in there now if i only ever tried coaxing her, you cant get her to move an inch by doing that. If there was any of my many t's that i would be 100% sure of getting tagged by if handled, its the minax every time, i reckon the crawshayi would be less likely to nail me, and is nowhere near as terrifying as mrs minax. It is down to the individual though, im sure that somewhere someone has a docile one and i have seen a you tube vid of someone handling one, (he diddnt know what it was though) its like anything really, the other extreme is you hear about evil rosies and avics all the time....

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah can be the attitude.. they differ even if from the same species.. or.. your T's could be stressed.. most of the time if a T is stressed it'll just sit or walk along and really look tamed.. they'd feel they are not in their comfort zone or what we call a defensive zone like their home.. burrow or hide.. so the only thing in their mind is to escape..

it's natural.. yes they are defensive.. but if their defense does not work.. then they go on to step 2 and that is to flee(away from harm) in any way they could.. and this is the time the T gets stressed.. so it could be the reason for T's to look tamed..

just to share
had an experience with an H. Minax too.. she was nasty.. every time i try to open her lid she'd go straight to a strike pose.. and they are lightning fast too.. scares the hell out of me every time.. {D

and one more thing.. since i'm not a fan of handling.. and i usually leave my T's specially the sub-adult and adult ones in their enclosures for a long time.. most if not all are very defensive.. my Aphonopelmas and Brachypelmas shows me their strike pose once in a while (of course after flicking)..

oh and another thing.. I saw this video from NatGeo in Cambodia or somewhere near that country that they sell barbecued T's.. they'd collect them in big baskets alive.. and pick out one from the basket and skewer them then grill them and sell them on the streets as snacks.. and those are OLD World T's I'm talking about.. and they handle them without sensing any trouble at all.. :D

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Mist of my highly defensive one's are burrower's thank goodness :D Halpo's are stubbern though{D my H. hainanum just refuses to move she isn't very mean just plain stubbern:wall: The King Baboon though is much more prone to being mean and will readily throw up a threat pose. My longips isn't that big yet but from what ive read they are loose cannons :D

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Been on these boards long enough to know what to do when I see one of these threads.

*Grabs popcorn and waits for the sh!tshow*

SpidSquid

Arachnopeon
When I first got my H. lividum in January, I couldn't even think of walking by her tank and she was all "Aw hell no!" on me. Now I can remove leftovers and refill her water dish without so much as a twitch from her. She has mellowed out now that she has settled in and made up a burrow.

For all the years I've studied T's, I really cringe when people use lines such as, "those who have aggressive T's just doing something wrong". Every tarantula has it's own temperament, and you can never guarantee when a T's temperament will change on you. I do understand your questioning behind that however, but it's safe to say that no, we are not doing anything different than you. Unless of course your T has a jacuzzi, dines on filet mignon and sips some Grey Goose. ;]

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well my phormictopus cancerides is a high tempered little bugger when ever you go into its 'personal' space. But outside the enclosure, it's almost like my b smithi. That's where the defensive idea comes in for me. I have an OBT coming in the mail and I've seen multiple videos of them throwing up strike poses in their enclosures but at the same time, there's tons of handling videos. Go figure :}

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Well my phormictopus cancerides is a high tempered little bugger when ever you go into its 'personal' space. But outside the enclosure, it's almost like my b smithi. That's where the defensive idea comes in for me. I have an OBT coming in the mail and I've seen multiple videos of them throwing up strike poses in their enclosures but at the same time, there's tons of handling videos. Go figure :}
I am in no way condoning handling defensive/aggressive species, but many of them tend to chill out once you get them out of their home. I have handled my OBT before.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am in no way condoning handling defensive/aggressive species, but many of them tend to chill out once you get them out of their home. I have handled my OBT before.
I'm definitely not going to make a habit of it. I don't do so with any of my other Ts anyways {D but if the time comes where it's completely neccesary, or if i wanna take a few pictures, respect and caution will be of the highest levels.