"aggressive" tarantulas

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wanted to know what the general thoughts are on aggressive T's. Are they really aggressive, as in ready to attack every time the enclosure is opened? Or do most people believe that they only will attack when cornered? Is there a difference between certain T's that have been labeled aggressive? Like for instance, H. maculata and OBT's?
I have been wondering because I now have 4 T's that are supposed to be aggressive and they would much rather retreat then attack.
What does everyone else think?

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I have some aggressive T's and I thought thet would want to kill me 24-7 but they where not that bad I mean some of them can get realy mean but for most of the time I think they are just great .but dont get me rong my Poecilotheria fasciata is as much teddy bear as a hungery tazmanian devil.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it's a matter of perception by the T. Nine times out of ten all T's will be "defensive" and run and hide. All of mine do but one day that will not be the case with one of them. When a defensive T feels like it's cornered, it can become aggresive. The two catagories I consider are docile and defensive. T's in both catagories can become aggressive in the right situation but that situation is defferant for every T. Just my thoughts.

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Considerring, I'm a rookie, and this strikes me as the place to ask this perception.

Aren't Arachnids much like any other form of life? If the situation arrives that they feel cornered, they'll attack. The only things that I can think of with a greater fight than flight philosphy are: Bears, Lions, Wolverines, and Scorpions. (I've yet to see a Scorpion retreat from a threat). I know this is a generalization because there are certain forms of life that may choose to fight even when they can choose flight.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, consider this... unless you are unequivocably the most bad ass thing out there a policy of unmitigated aggression is a very poor survival strategy.

i free handle a lot of bugs that are traditionally viewed as hands off. i have never been bit by a tarantula... scorps and cents have lit me up (generally with some form of provocation on my part) but tarantulas have never bit me

a large reason why i have never been bit by a tarantula is that i don't play with them when they seem inordinately reactive. if i tap the side of their container and they move away in a burst of speed then probably tomorrow is a better day to play.

another thing to consider is that while some animals might be tricked into thinking you are the substrate tarantulas, specifically arboreals, really notice something is up! some i have to trick into walking on my skin.... so i think the winning strategy has more to do with not doing ANYTHING to make them feel threatened rather than convincing them you are the substrate

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
i free handle a lot of bugs that are traditionally viewed as hands off.
Yeah me too, the trick has always seemed to be not alarming them into feeling threatened.

I don't see any sp. of tarantula as 'aggressive' per say, I think its all really defensive behavior.
While I have been bitten, its always my fault. If I intrude in its space, it may defend itself. Its not an irrational assault on me.

-Sean

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:D
well, consider this... unless you are unequivocably the most bad ass thing out there a policy of unmitigated aggression is a very poor survival strategy.

i free handle a lot of bugs that are traditionally viewed as hands off. i have never been bit by a tarantula... scorps and cents have lit me up (generally with some form of provocation on my part) but tarantulas have never bit me

thats one of the most beautiful H. Macs. ive ever seen!!!

as far as the post...i have a p. murinus that has NEVER showed any signs of aggression at all!!! i know....veyr uncharacteristic of them...but shes never raised up, showed a fang or anything...ive even handled her....though not intentionally. i was talking to a friend and had my hand resting on the rim of her enclosure (10 gal.) with most of my hand inside the top of the tank...(i know, not the smartest move on my part) when i orriginally did this she was in her hide/burrow. next thing i know i have this huge (5-51/2") spider crawling on my arm. i just eased her back into the enclosure...and after about 15 mins (when my heart rate finally slowed down) i had a good laugh about it! :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah me too, the trick has always seemed to be not alarming them into feeling threatened.

I don't see any sp. of tarantula as 'aggressive' per say, I think its all really defensive behavior.
While I have been bitten, its always my fault. If I intrude in its space, it may defend itself. Its not an irrational assault on me.

-Sean
"irrational" i think is an important word... it is very easy for me to figure out why i got tagged 99% of the time... i did something to earn it. that is rational defense, like SB said. irrational aggression is something i have rarely, if ever, seen in bugs.

the only bugs i have ever been tempted to say were aggressive were centipedes... but certainly not all and i think i even might have a clue as to why some seem so insane sometimes :)

all that being said... cornered rats fight like... cornered rats... i would not want any of my Poeci's to think the only way out is through me!

@GB04 thanks... i love my little african girl :D

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jesus I never thought about handling my Heteroscodra maculata.:confused: I just assumed it was a bad idea.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

as far as the post...i have a p. murinus that has NEVER showed any signs of aggression at all!!! i know....veyr uncharacteristic of them...but shes never raised up, showed a fang or anything...ive even handled her....though not intentionally. i was talking to a friend and had my hand resting on the rim of her enclosure (10 gal.) with most of my hand inside the top of the tank...(i know, not the smartest move on my part) when i orriginally did this she was in her hide/burrow. next thing i know i have this huge (5-51/2") spider crawling on my arm. i just eased her back into the enclosure...and after about 15 mins (when my heart rate finally slowed down) i had a good laugh about it! :D

Amazing maculata! and as for you GB04, I keep on hearing stories about your Orange Baboon Teddybear, maybe it wanted a hug..;P

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amazing maculata! and as for you GB04, I keep on hearing stories about your Orange Baboon Teddybear, maybe it wanted a hug..;P
LOL!!! thats EXACTLY what it wanted! Cheetah and i were joking around on another thread and i said she (my OBT) and i cuddled up in bed together one night and watched Sleepless in Seattle! LOL! {D

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

a large reason why i have never been bit by a tarantula is that i don't play with them when they seem inordinately reactive. if i tap the side of their container and they move away in a burst of speed then probably tomorrow is a better day to play.

another thing to consider is that while some animals might be tricked into thinking you are the substrate tarantulas, specifically arboreals, really notice something is up! some i have to trick into walking on my skin.... so i think the winning strategy has more to do with not doing ANYTHING to make them feel threatened rather than convincing them you are the substrate
I just watched an Animal Planet show called "Worlds biggest & Baddest bugs." the guy hosting it held everything from Black Widows to 50,000 killer bees. In my experience with the deadly ones it's all about being calm. The more your freak the more they will. I agree with the above quote, my girl had been bitten by countless animals we own (see my bio) but I've never gotten tagged once. The difference is knowing how to handle the creature in question.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL!!! thats EXACTLY what it wanted! Cheetah and i were joking around on another thread and i said she (my OBT) and i cuddled up in bed together one night and watched Sleepless in Seattle! LOL! {D

LOL awsome! I've sat here at my CPU with a Rosie wandering the desk.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just watched an Animal Planet show called "Worlds biggest & Baddest bugs." the guy hosting it held everything from Black Widows to 50,000 killer bees. In my experience with the deadly ones it's all about being calm. The more your freak the more they will. I agree with the above quote, my girl had been bitten by countless animals we own (see my bio) but I've never gotten tagged once. The difference is knowing how to handle the creature in question.
the widows around my area (L. hesperus) are nancies... i hold them all with very little fear... EXCEPT when they have eggsacs. then i try not to mess with them and certainly would not even dream of holding one!

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't forget I teased you about that as well, you and your OBT, orange teddy bear tarantula..{D

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to give you props for allowing anything around your face like that. Definitely not something that I think; I'd react anything but poorly too.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have to give you props for allowing anything around your face like that. Definitely not something that I think; I'd react anything but poorly too.
Woah, bro, that pede is too close to the orbs. But yes, props!

I don't handle my Ts except the rosea but with the cephalothorax pinch. If I tried to handle my Hap, I'd either be flying around the room with a spider hanging from my fingers like a mutant hangnail or she would be in the next county in three seconds flat.

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Seen1980

Woah, bro, that pede is too close to the orbs. But yes, props!

I don't handle my Ts except the rosea but with the cephalothorax pinch. If I tried to handle my Hap, I'd either be flying around the room with a spider hanging from my fingers like a mutant hangnail or she would be in the next county in three seconds flat."

I won't argue with you. I figure if I handled a Tarantula being as ticklish as I am. The Tarantula would catch up on frequent flier miles. Or, I'd consider it an act of war

Aeakins

Arachnopeon
Smart

That is a very great way of putting it...tricking them that u are the substrate but T's aren't stupid I have tried that many times and yes it has indeed worked but after awhile especially if I am really warm they know they immediately turn away...it's funny bc they won't go on my hand but they will on anyother part of my body like my arm or leg..etc just not my hand. I usually pet them or free them of the cage for a little bit to get them used to the feeling and it has definently worked bc after I do so they climb right on my hand! "Smart little critter's ain't they!?" ha ha
Amanda