Aggressive actions

Sting

Arachnopeon
I know the only way to really tell if a scorpion is pregnant, but I though I would explain my female forest scorpion's behavior and see what everybody has to say. I had a enclosure with 1 male and 2 females with temperature 83-90F. and humidity 85-90%. After about two days of being in the same enclosure one of the females ate the male, but still continued eating crickets as normal and then about a week later she ate the other female. Now the white membrane is showing on either side of her. I purchased all three from the same company. Please reply with any thoughts or ideas you have about why she did this. Could she be pregnant and have eaten both of them because she is about to give birth?
Thanks!

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not familar with the species, but it is very common for gravid females of some species to consume just about anything in their range. Unless it is a communal species in the wild I would not keep them together. Gravid females are often very aggressive.

Sting

Arachnopeon
Forest scorpions are communal, but are also fairly aggressive. Anyone have any other comments?
Thanks

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Females usually eat males anyway. She may have been protecting her future young by eliminating any threats before hand. But if your looking for an awnser on whether she will partuate or is gravid you will find none, the only definent way of know she is gravid is to see the mate and find the spermataphore. You will only get speculation if you seek any more info... All you can do bascially is wait. Emperors have a long gestation period so for all you know she could be gravid, but not partuate for another 6 or 8 months.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Emperors have a long gestation period so for all you know she could be gravid, but not partuate for another 6 or 8 months.
Forest scorpions are actually Heterometrus sp. But that gestation is about the same really.

Another way to know if I scoprion is gravid if it's getting fatter but not eating as often. Or if later in the gestation period that you witness it stilitng.

Mike

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forest scorpions are communal, but are also fairly aggressive. Anyone have any other comments?
Thanks
I find it amazing to think such large scorpions are communal. Are they actually found living in congregated groups in the wild or are they lumped together for export to the pet trade and then become relatively complacent with each other? In my experience many non-communal species will tolerate each other outside of breeding season.

Sting

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your help everyone. I did not think there was a way to tell, I just wanted to hear everyone's comments.
Thanks!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Forest scorpions are actually Heterometrus sp. But that gestation is about the same really.

Another way to know if I scoprion is gravid if it's getting fatter but not eating as often. Or if later in the gestation period that you witness it stilitng.

Mike
Yeah I wasn't paying attention.. Same thing though, lol, no harm. ;)

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aye, but with all the misID's thanks to the pet trade I figured I'd make sure it was right.

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aye, but with all the misID's thanks to the pet trade I figured I'd make sure it was right.

Mike
The statement before about stilting is a good thought Mike. Do you know how long they hold that position before birth?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no idea. I haven't had the liberty of breeding Heterometrus yet, and I havn't seen my P. imperator stilting. But I got a juvie P. imperator stilting and I think it may have something to do with molting.

I wonder what stilting does exactly? Does it help the exo stretch for birth/molting is easier?

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I misinterperted you, I thought you were refering to the process of folding her legs into the birthing basket, which is quite interesting.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Mark,

Yes also in their natural habitat they are found congregating in dense undergrowth alongside riversystems.......But in nature, they can escape, in the terra, they get eaten. Nothing more dangerous then a pregnant female (scorpion or human :D ).........I want my MCflurry now! With sprinkles! You won't drive 1,5 hour to get it for me? YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMOOOOOOOORRRRRRE