Aggresive species

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok Soon I'll be getting another tarantula but I'm one of thos super extra caution tarantula owners so I want an aggressive terresterial one.

so from this list what should I choose?

( leave out the ones on this list that maybe aboreal because when i choose from botar's list his descriptions sometimes leave out of its terresterial or aboreal Also if its not aggresive dont pick it as choice because in some of his descriptions it doesnt say if its aggressive or not)

My favorite one so far is the Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) if I get this one I'll be getting it at 4.5"

Thai Tiger (Haplopelma longipes)
Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum)
Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)
Pedersen's Ornamental (Poecilotheria pederseni)
Indian Ornamental (Poecilotheria regalis)
Trinidad Chevron (Psalmopoeus cambridgei)
Suntiger Tarantula (Psalmopoeus irminia)
Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Thai Tiger (Haplopelma longipes) - Obligate burrower, you would never see it. Can be defensive but would rather run down its burrow than stand and fight.

Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum) - Exactly the same as above.

Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides) - Grow quite large, is reputed to be quite defensive, gets nice pink and purple colours. I had two that were not all that defensive but others have had quite the opposite. This would be my personal choice.

Pedersen's Ornamental (Poecilotheria pederseni) - Arboreal. Not that defensive if it has somewhere to hide. Very fast. Old World, more potent venom.

Indian Ornamental (Poecilotheria regalis) - Arboreal. Exactly the same as above.

Trinidad Chevron (Psalmopoeus cambridgei) - Arboreal. Sorry I've not had one of these. But I hear they can be rather defensive, though not as much as P. irminia. They are very secretive, hiding away in their webs so are not often visible.

Suntiger Tarantula (Psalmopoeus irminia) - Arboreal. Same as above.

Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) - I've never owned one, but they do make a mass amount of webbing, so may not be as visible as other species. Reputed to be very defensive, as with all species, somewhere to hide provides them with an alternative to standing and fighting(biting).

Hope that helped. My choice would be P. cancerides. They are usually visible, get quite large, lovely colours, go from blue babies to brown/pink adults. Like I said I didn't find mine to be overly defensive, but that does not seem to be the norm.

Cheers,
Laura

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi you did say you wanted a defensive ( t ) ? than i say ( 1 ) a - P - murinus - ( 2 ) a - P- cancerides - IF THATS WhAT YOU WANT :? :confused: :rolleyes: -- phil

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd go with the Pterinochilus murinus. Very beautiful and very defensive {D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my decision has been made for me because botar just sent out his last orange baboons so I'll be getting a 2" Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my OBT once flipped over on its back in defense pose when i changed it from enclosures. :eek:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any Aussie T, they make some of the above list look like furry puppies ;)

Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Eric,
I could have them, I just choose not to, colour gets boring after a while, attitude and behaviour is everything ;) Plenty of exotics around in Oz, but they are illegal here. Besides, I have my hands full with what I've already got!!

Actually, the funny thing is the one I would be interested in, has a carapace length of only 13mm and is plain black/brown (Sören has some actually, the only dude who has any I believe)!!!!! I would have one of those little buggers before a blue beauty like P.metallica in a heartbeat :)

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

I could have them, I just choose not to, colour gets boring after a while, attitude and behaviour is everything
You're preaching to the choir my friend. Just giving you a hard time. :)

Eric

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my decision has been made for me because botar just sent out his last orange baboons so I'll be getting a 2" Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)
sometimes its a good thing when the choice is made for you. P. Cancerides is on my wanna getem list.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My vote would be for a pokie, or a P. cancerides. My pokies are still slings and my cancerides is a complete teddy bear, but a beautiful one. You could consider an OBT, they are supposed to have attitude and are very lovely. I would not get an H. lividium, my friend has had one for almost 2 years and gets excited when he gets a glimpse of toes.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Phormictopus cancerides is a extremely nice tarantula, I have a female that measures around 3-3.5" and is ready to molt soon, her abdomen is darkening. This species has colors, size, and nice complimentary temperment.

Haplopelma longipes is a obligate flee-er, IME, my own often stands it's ground in a threat display and STRIKES or ignores me entirely in that typical Hap fashion (nothing can disturb her prone center of the universe). But I have seen it stridulate (spat) and flee under the hideaway too. Love her.