Ageing a B Smithi

afisher

Arachnopeon
Im sure there are already threads on this however I haven't found one.

I've recently bought a small (1.5") B Smithi and I was wondering how old she (?) is. Is there any tables that give "size v age" information. I understand she can grow up to 5.5", how old would she be when she matured?

Any info or links will be greatfully received

Cheers

Andy

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
IIs there any tables that give "size v age" information.
Absolutely none whatsoever, and anyone who attempts to tell you otherwise is either lying or misinformed. There IS no correlation between size and age in tarantulas. If it was kept warmer and fed a lot, it will grow a dozen times as fast. If kept and fed more normally, or on a lean diet, it will grow a dozen times slower...or if kept in a warm room and fed less, or perhaps fed heavily for a while and then fed less while the room is kept at a constant 68F on Tuesdays, or if only fed on the full moon while listening to country and western...and then you must factor in random genetics, size/type of prey, hydration, stress levels...

Unless you know when it was born, you're out of luck.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Basic info........ for a female to reach maturity.... with no power feeding.... anywhere between 4-5 years. Sometimes longer.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is really hard to tell since you don't know if it was powerfed before you got it. B. smithis grow very slowly, and depending on how much it was fed, how well it ate, and in some cases, what it was fed and what temps it was kept at, all of that can affect growth rate. I would guess probably over a year, but how much is anyones guess.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is really hard to tell since you don't know if it was powerfed before you got it. B. smithis grow very slowly, and depending on how much it was fed, how well it ate, and in some cases, what it was fed and what temps it was kept at, all of that can affect growth rate. I would guess probably over a year, but how much is anyones guess.
I dont know I feed mine once a week or so and have gotten slings to 5+ inches in just over 2 years they were females too! I really dont think they are that slow......... G rosea on the other hand.... I got a sling rosea and a sling smithi at the same time.... the smithi has molted three times and is at almost 2.5 and the rosea has not molted once.

TJPotter

Arachnopeon
No not really..... I have now 22 adults and 50 something juvies and slings. 5 years is about right. Less if you feed more often.
Really? Wow, I thought they were pretty close to G. rosea in growth rate. Learn something new everyday!:worship:
/end hijack

Tucker