Age of average male...sling to death

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
How long does the average male live? All I can find is life after final molt. I realize this will change from type, to temps to feeding.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You've already answered your own question - it's impossible to give an accurate guess, far too many variables. That's why we always measure length of life after the ultimate molt.

Not to mention, it will vary wildly depending on species. Some would be over a decade, some around a year.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Most T's that aren't desert species can live 3-6 years as a male. In contrast, a B. smithi male could live for 6-8 years, which is a long time for a male. I'd say it's about 1/3 of the female's life span, give or take a year :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Couldn't give an accurate guess.

But temperatures at the higher end for the T and overfeeding will highly shorten a males life, regardless of species.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
Most of my males, depending how I keep them (temperature, feeding schedule, etc) tend to mature between 3-5 years

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Thanks all. A lot of the info out there made it seem that all males were seasonal. Of course I realize too that captivity is not seasonal. I find it cool that sac mates won't normally mature at the same time. Almost insuring that inbreeding won't occur. I am generalizing of course.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A LOT of variables. OW vs NW, individual species, husbandry, etc. Some OW males can mature by one year of age. Some NW species can take up to ten years from emergence to maturity. How long they live after maturity is extremely variable as well. Some may die at their maturing molt. Some may get eaten during first breeding attempt. Some may live long enough to attempt and even survive a post ultimate molt, or even two. I believe NW terrestrial males hold the record for longevity post maturation. The longest I've heard of was about 4.5 years. So, some individuals may only live for one year total, others have potential to live close to 15 years.